Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameStartup Stew
Topic subjectHelp with non-profit !!!
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=119&topic_id=803
803, Help with non-profit !!!
Posted by tpinon, Wed Jul-04-07 08:34 PM
I began bouncing my idea for a non-profit concerning environmental issues off people and got great response. I wanted to protect it quickly and wasn't sure of how to copyright. It was suggested to me that filing for corporation would protect me temporarily, so I went and filed for LLC in FL. Was that the wrong one to file for if I want to get 501c3? Does it matter? I still have to copyright.

I got the domain names, webhost, etc. Getting logos, website and biz cards designed by web designer in my family (slow process cuz he's doing it for free).

I'm networking and contacting environmental scientists/lawyers/activists around the globe to offer information/advice for when the site launches. I'm writing down ideas for programs.

The biz plan: market analysis section...I'm clueless. (i have no biz background) Does it cost much to hire someone to do it for me? I know I need a good biz plan to get the 501c3. Don't want to take a risk, right? Projected budget for programs? How do I calculate that? I've been looking at sample plans online. They help a little, but need more detailed help without having to purchase some do-it-yourself thing.

Thanks a bunch...
806, RE: Help with non-profit !!!
Posted by hostingdiva, Thu Jul-05-07 11:33 AM
You can get a 501(c)(3) with an LLC however, you will have to declare yourself as a corporation when you file your taxes.

I'm not exactly clear why you think you need a business plan to get a 501(c)(3) though... to even be eligible for a 501(c)(3) you have to have some non-profit purpose... and if you're going to go for a 501(c)(3) I would recommend you consult an attorney because while you may think this is the best option for you, it may not be.

Regarding your business plan, you may want to consider going and talking with someone at a SCORE office. They can sit down with you and talk you through the essentials.

Good luck!
808, RE: Help with non-profit !!!
Posted by wwcap1, Sun Jul-08-07 06:35 AM
Hi: I don't think you have a clue about what you are doing business wise. You don't need a copyright unless your business is a written document. Is it? Probably not. You can copyright pertinent documents for your business, i.e. all materials used in marketing and advertising etc. If the name is important or the logo, or both you might want to look into a trademark.

If your idea is what you want to protect, there aren't many options quite frankly. You can use a non-disclosure agreement and have everyone you do busines with sign it. This is workable at first but can become so cumbersome you can't do it forever.

To get a 501(c)(3) you need to complete the application form provided by the IRS (you can get it online). You'll find that you'll almost be doing a full business plan in answer to their questions. You'll then file it with a hefty fee ($750 I think) and you'll start the process. If you are successful you'll first get a letter indicating that for the time being you can "act" as a 501(c)(3). It takes seven years to become completely approved and after sending in all your tax information and other information regarding the operations of the non-profit every year.

Hope this helps.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com
2062, RE: Help with non-profit !!!
Posted by Wealth24, Sat Feb-27-10 01:25 PM

Vilmarie Budde

I know someone well versed in nonprofit and she can help how much will it cost I dont know you can contact me vbudde@hotmail.com