Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameStartup Stew
Topic subjectwhere do I start?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=119&topic_id=117
117, where do I start?
Posted by crystal_lee, Sun Oct-15-06 08:39 PM
I am 19 years old . I have had the idea of starting my own bar for quite some time, now. I am a waitress bartender at a grill & bar right now, and don't make much money. I have heard that it would be better to buy an existing, up and running bar, but I have no idea where to start. I know I have to create a business plan..but dont I have to find a place first?
Any advice would be helpful.
120, RE: where do I start?
Posted by Phanntom, Mon Oct-16-06 10:58 AM
Crystal,

The first place to start would be the liquior licensing agency...they may require that you be at least 21yrs old. And they probably have density restrictions on how many licenses are issued within certain boundries. This is why buying and existing one is sometimes easier...the value in a bar is in it's liquior license.

After that you should start on your businessplan...that should help you decide on what size space you'll need to make a go of it and support it's growth. You can look for a place, and have a place in mind and even a lease proposal...just don't sign one until you have everything else in place...busplan, financing.

Bars are notoriously difficult to make a profit in unless you're monitoring them every minute. That's not to say they can't be, it's just that you have to keep employees from giving drinks on the house to serve their own agendas.
Good luck,
Denny