Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Daily Grind
Topic subjectRE: Is owning a business all it's cracked up to be?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=109&topic_id=6&mesg_id=27
27, RE: Is owning a business all it's cracked up to be?
Posted by Pepperfire, Thu Oct-12-06 05:39 AM
>How much of a difference do you find between the reality of
>owning your own business and what you imagined it would be
>like?

Owning your own business means several things. First and foremost it means you are the boss. You get the final say on how things will work and what will happen. It also means that the buck stops here. When the sheets hit the fan, it's your face they flap in. If you catch my meaning.

I think that the most attractive things about being an entrepreneur is the ideas that we'll make a ton of money and have the kind of time to do the things we want to do whenever we want to do them.

Of course, what most people don't realize is how hard the CEO of a Fortune 500 company works. So, ultimately, what your idea is for the future of your company will depend a great deal on how much time you want to put in.

Before I sold my financial services company to come do the marketing for my husband's hot sauce company, I had my own successful, well-established Financial Services Company. I worked hard about two days a month, I had an essential comfortable existence, but wasn't driving a super expensive car or living in a mansion with a swimming pool. I did have a new car, and a nice house -- nothing anyone could all extravagant. But... I was happy. I will also admit that it took me nearly 15 years of hard work and long hours to get to that point.

Which brings me to your next comment (question?)...

>For me, I thought I would have all this time to go to the gym
>and finally get into shape. I find I have less time now than I
>did when I was doing the 9 to 5 thing. I'm thinking about my
>business 24-7 and take care of certain things at night when I
>can't take care of anything else.

Since selling that business I find myself working every day. Often I work very long hours, sometimes bringing my work home on a laptop. I travel out of town, often to do shows and it really is a lot of work. I haven't seen the gym since June and my rollerblades have cobwebs all over them from disuse. I do find myself thinking about our business 24-7 and I do have to take care of things at night. And with the exception of tight cash flow anxiety periods which any small business goes through, I am happy.

Did you notice a correlation???

If you aren't happy... why are you wasting your time. Do what makes you happy.

I hope that helps.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!