Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBizNames
Topic subjectIs it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=108&topic_id=1201
1201, Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Posted by InfamousM, Fri Jul-31-09 04:27 AM
Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?

Does anyone have any insight into this --or an idea of who/where to ask? It's on my list for my next meeting with my lawyer, but...

The purpose is not to mislead, but to add interest to the name (like the movie "Monsters Inc." for instance...does not say nearly as much as just "Monsters")

Any thoughts?

Any feedback of why this would potentially dissuade you as a customer regardless of legality?
1204, RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Posted by Texas2sum, Fri Jul-31-09 01:14 PM
Quite simply, no. It is not legal to use the Inc. or Incorporated declaration in the business name if it is not. This would be considered a type of business fraud or deceptive trade practice.

The point of a Incorporation is the special protections it offers the business in terms of taxes, personal iability etc.
1211, RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Posted by InfamousM, Tue Aug-04-09 04:45 PM
Thank you, this is what I thought. I understand about the liability in misleading consumers if they thought certain protections were offered that indeed weren't given the "inc"

I'm open to alternative suggestions if others have any. So far I have "company name" unlimited, studio, international.
1215, RE: Is it legal to use "Inc." in a business name if the business is NOT a corporation?
Posted by hostingdiva, Wed Aug-05-09 05:41 AM
What's the company name?

Why not just use "company name" on it's own? Why do you need something after the name?

~~~~~~~~