Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameeCommerce
Topic subjectRE: Looking to create a website of own to accelerate online business!!
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=107&topic_id=304&mesg_id=344
344, RE: Looking to create a website of own to accelerate online business!!
Posted by tettegouche, Fri Jun-20-08 08:10 AM
I think I might have answered you in another chat.. but just incase:

My tips:

1. Find a web designer you can trust. Most people run to the "create your own site" places to save money. In the end, you just realize that there are programming things you have no control over and your site does not look professional. I used www.DylanDesignLab.com for my site. They worked with me on the phone and email to get exactly what I was looking for. They will create your site either from scratch or from a template (cheaper but still professional and edited by them).

2. Do your research. You want cheap web hosting, but not something so cheap that you will never get customer service or end up with your server down. I found www.HostRail.com to be the best in customer service and price. Their site explains the products the best and they are super fast at getting back to you if you call or email.

3. Expect to pay for quality. In the making of your site and the purchasing of your hosting options, you have to expect to pay for it. Your website may cost between $200-600 to have a web designer make it for you. Your hosting will cost around $20/month and your domain name about $8/year for a dot com name. If you are selling online, you need a cart system ($40/m) and an SSL certificate ($30/year). However, considering how much you spend for internet hook up and your cell phone bill, this is not very expensive. You have to look at it in a long term perspective. People are shopping online more and more. They are looking for your business online. If you have a presentable, well functioning site, these start up costs are totally worth it.

4. Quantity is a lie. Most web hosting companies tell you they will give you 50,000GB of bandwidth and 500GB of Disk Space/month for a $30 web hosting package. This is a lie. If you ever used that much gigs in a month, they will kick you off. They are simply trying to dazzle you with large numbers because they know the average person isn't going to use that much anyway. Most small companies are lucky to even use 5GB of bandwidth per month and 1GB of disk space/month. Don't pay for what you are not using (or even getting in this case).

5. Use people! People love to see people on a website. It makes a customer feel like they can associate with the site because there is a face there. Psychology i guess. Have your web designer use people on your site. It helps, believe me.

Good luck!