Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameeCommerce
Topic subjectIs Go Daddy a good web hosting company?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=107&topic_id=17
17, Is Go Daddy a good web hosting company?
Posted by ElleBlue, Fri Aug-25-06 01:00 PM
I already got my domain name through "Go Daddy". Are they are good web hosting company? If not, can I still use my domain name which I had registered with Go Daddy? What other companies would you recommend? I have a small fashion line, and I want to start out by selling on my own website. I have been selling on E-Bay as well, but I want to launch my own website.
Thanks!
Elle
18, RE: Is Go Daddy a good web hosting company?
Posted by aceshopper, Sun Aug-27-06 07:16 AM
Hi---Elle:

Once you register a domain name, you can host it anywhere. There may be a small transfer fee that your domain registrar (godaddy) charges for transferring to another host provider. This you would need to look into through godaddy.

I host one of my sites through www.dreamhost.com and i won't be using them again only because there website software is for advanced HTML users and i am not yet very HTML proficient.

One piece of advise to you about finding a host is that if you are not tech savvy or know how to build a site from scratch through coding, look into hosts that offer easy website-building software for beginners or the technically challenged. LOL. Alot of them do.

Another piece of advise is that when you have found a host you like is to google for coupon codes. For example, if you decide to go with godaddy then google: godaddy + coupon code.

These are promo codes that will save you money on the hosting fee.

Missy Diaz
Dish Network, Satellite TV
Authorized Dealer
www.ownsatellitetv.com
19, RE: Is Go Daddy a good web hosting company?
Posted by vwebworld, Sun Aug-27-06 09:40 PM
HI,

For domains.. they are good, for hosting I've heard some people have
problems.

If you are going to "sell" stuff online, you need to ake some
decisions/choices on how to do that. I recommend (and use for my clients)
osCommerce and Zen Cart.. both FREE opensource programs that are
teted and have a great admin section so you can manage your
ecommerce store without knowing any programming. You can add
change products, prices and maintain your customer database.

I offer free install of osCommerce or Zen Cart with my website
hosting http://www.vwebworld.com/vhost.htm .

If you have any questions do not hesitiate to contact me.

~Roland
20, RE: Is Go Daddy a good web hosting company?
Posted by phardytech, Mon Aug-28-06 02:26 AM
>I already got my domain name through "Go Daddy".
>Are they are good web hosting company? If not, can I still use
>my domain name which I had registered with Go Daddy? What
>other companies would you recommend? I have a small fashion
>line, and I want to start out by selling on my own website. I
>have been selling on E-Bay as well, but I want to launch my
>own website.
>Thanks!
>Elle

Hi Ellie,

That really depends a few things:

1) Your market
2) Number of items
3) Expected shopping volume

If you're selling 2-3 shirts and expecting traffic to trickle in based on your marketing plan, then GoDaddy might work for you. However, if you have a significant number of offerings (define "small"), a huge market and expecting a boat load of traffic everyday, GoDaddy might not work for you.

You can simply use Godaddy as a domain registrar and have your website hosted anywhere that will accomodate your business according to your plan.

What is your current sales volume on eBay?

Regards,

Pat Hardy
P Hardy Technologies, Inc.
When Retail Profits Count.
50 Charles Lindbergh Blvd. #400 Uniondale, NY 11553
1-800-896-4022 / 516-342-4825
Interested in doubling sales & profits this year? Visit: www.phardy.com for more info.
21, RE: Is Go Daddy a good web hosting company?
Posted by ElleBlue, Mon Aug-28-06 08:47 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone! Now that I have plethora of choices, I will be doing more research before making my final decision. Pat, to answer your questions, I am just starting on this embarkment. I thought selling some T-shirts online would be a cool way to make extra money. So when I say small I mean small. Right now, at any given time on E-Bay, I have 2 or 3 styles up at a time (at $10.00 to $20.00 apiece). And I have a small inventory (a dozen each of each size in each style). So I'm just seeing how far I can go with this at the moment.

I thought about sticking with Go Daddy for now, because they have step by step web building pages and coaching for beginners like me. I know some html codes, but as far as making the page interactive (shopping carts, check out process and the sign in page) I will need some help. The gentleman I spoke with at Go Daddy assured me he could help with this process.

I will be checking into all the suggestions that have been given here and see which is best for me. I will keep you all posted about which host I will go with.
Thanks!
Elle
22, Wouldn't Recommend using GoDaddy.com at this time...
Posted by HighConversions, Mon Aug-28-06 09:56 AM
They're still getting their act together it seems. I setup a hosting plan with them for one of my domains and they just didn't seem to know their stuff. Maybe it was just the person I was talking to? Before I signed up they promised me all the help I needed and then after signing up they told me they couldn't help with certain things.

I did a virtual dedicated server, as an experiment, and it was just such a huge headache! I have 20 some domains registered with GoDaddy and, for the most part, like their setup... but not with hosting.