Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameeCommerce
Topic subjectRE: How can I start home-based business?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=107&topic_id=160&mesg_id=506
506, RE: How can I start home-based business?
Posted by spiceoflife1, Thu Sep-30-10 10:20 AM
It's very easy to start a home-based business, but I'm with a lot of folks here, you have to have something to put on the table. You need to decide WHAT you want to do, and then you can go from there.

There are a lot of people salivating at this very moment from your general query-people interested in separating YOU from what's in your wallet; so I would suggest before you begin, start with a plan. You have to have some goals before you can play the game, right?

Dogs will run away if they aren't on a leash, so you need to learn how to walk them properly. With proper exercise, you'll both learn how to run. Maybe a poor metaphor for this discussion, but if you first don't know how to use your tools, they really aren't going to do you a lot of good. So, you either need training, someone to help you, or someone to do it for you.

Choose a business that will match the time you have to invest in it. If you already have a day job and are doing this as a hobby on the side for extra cash, be very careful that you are operating within your locality's parameters because most of them require a home-based business license; and of course you are responsible for the taxes on any sales and such.

Is your business based on products you create, services you maintain or something else?

Someone already asked you "what are you good at" and that is one of the best places to start. If you are wanting to step outside of your own skillset then you need to learn new skills, and become an expert. Do you trust someone who is NOT an expert at what they are doing? I have 2 hobby-based businesses and one consulting business. Each of these businesses are very specialized and precise, have their own customer bases and their own mission. What is YOUR mission?

You can also find a need... Every day people say "I wish someone would come up with a way to..." and they don't think about the fact that THEY are someone. THEY can do it. But first, look and see if it is or has already been done. Just because you haven't seen it yet, does not mean it isn't there. Research is a huge part of starting and maintaining any home-based or even a brick and mortar business.

Just my 2 cents worth... Good luck!

Connie and David Spicer, Artists/Entrepreneurs