Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMarketing Mix
Topic subjectPlanning to put up on-line grocery store
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=106&topic_id=277
277, Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by bizdan, Fri Feb-16-07 03:36 AM
Hi!! everyone.

Can you give me some advise if it is wise to open up an on-line grocery store wherein buyers will choose the items in my website and order thru phone with a minimum amount to be purchase to cover-up delivery expense. The idea is to save them time in going to the supermarket. But my problem is not all household have computers. Giving every household a hard copy of the price list would be costly and since prices change every now and then. It is much easier to adjust prices in the web. Is it still viable for me to engage in such business idea? Or if you have a better way I would be very thankful.

Thanks,
Bizdan
279, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by Pepperfire, Fri Feb-16-07 07:40 AM
I would recommend doing some market research. That way, you'll discover who your target market for such a project is. Once you figure out who they are, target your market research even further.

I personally think this is a great idea for people who require time saving or for the elderly. (The population of seniors is the fastest growing consumer trend on the net right now).

If you then think it might be viable, I recommend putting the time into yoru business plan. Those three steps will tell you the answer to your question without a doubt.

Good luck with it. I think it sounds lucrative; especially if you partner up with several quality food providers.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!
281, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by bizdan, Fri Feb-16-07 02:57 PM
Thanks Tina for the advise and encouragement. I will consider it and look into the market viability before I really go into it.

Bizdan
285, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by jeffbl, Sun Feb-18-07 02:24 AM
You might look into the problems that others have had with this concept. There were a few of these services a few years ago but they all fell apart. They underestimated the fixed cost associated with maintaining an inventory of groceries. I have seen this work but only as an extension of a brick and morter grocer store. Are you planning on working with a grocery store?
288, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by bizdan, Sun Feb-18-07 12:54 PM
Thanks for the advise.
A grocery store in it self, I don't have a plan at the moment. On-line grocery just came up to my mind as time saving alternative for those who don't have the time to go out.

Well actually I'm in the printing press business and looking for additional source of income to meet the daily expenses. Could you have an idea wherein I can make use of my printing business over the web? I do graphic designs and layouting services.

Bizdan
295, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by bizconsultant, Mon Feb-19-07 09:32 AM
Im kind of echoing what someone stated earlier about researching why the earlier models for this type of business failed. But on the bright side, once its determined what made them fail, you can model your venture in a fashion to make it more successful and avoid some of those pitfalls. We work in business development and new concepts all the time, if you need any additional guidance, feel free to get in touch with me at ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

>Thanks for the advise.
>A grocery store in it self, I don't have a plan at the moment.
>On-line grocery just came up to my mind as time saving
>alternative for those who don't have the time to go out.
>
>Well actually I'm in the printing press business and looking
>for additional source of income to meet the daily expenses.
>Could you have an idea wherein I can make use of my printing
>business over the web? I do graphic designs and layouting
>services.
>
>Bizdan
301, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by TheMerryBird, Tue Feb-20-07 12:40 PM
As a pregnant mom, I know this is a terrific idea... for "Moms to be". You may want to market to Prego's out there that can't leave the house or carry grocery's. I know that our local Stop and Shop has "Pea in a Pod" which is the same type of business you are about to embark on... why not check out Stop and Shop website to gain insight on how they handle things...

If you can promote this business offline, you can set up a phone line taking orders and offering price info. for those without internet access. You'll need a catchy item or reason for people to shop that way! Get creative!

success to you -

Kristine Sheehan
The Merry Bird...pen, ink and design
http://www.themerrybird.com

:-)
302, RE: Planning to put up on-line grocery store
Posted by bizdan, Tue Feb-20-07 01:43 PM
Thank you Kristeen for the idea and encouragement.

Success to your own business!