Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMarketing Mix
Topic subjectHow do you market a pressurewashing start up business?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=106&topic_id=1535
1535, How do you market a pressurewashing start up business?
Posted by jmiller87, Sat Jan-16-10 06:34 PM
Hello all, My name is Justin Miller. I am currently venturing into the 'mobile maintenance and repair' industry. I would like to know what anyones advice would be on how to effectively market a pressure washing business?

Thanks and kidest regards,
Justin Miller - President
ShowCase Mobile Detailing llc.
813-500-2454:-)
1536, RE: How do you market a pressurewashing start up business?
Posted by Aegeanimports, Wed Jan-20-10 08:48 PM
Great challenge!

I accept.

(Assuming you are talking about power washing company for exterior house cleaning services...maintenance on decks, driveways, roofs...)

First, study your competition - see what they are doing. How do they present themselves, their certifications, and value proposition?

In order to compete with the large stores that rent out power washers you'll have to beat them on convenience, service, and pricing. If you beat their prices and deliver great, convenient service; and have the reach / network - you'll win clients.

The first approach that comes to mind would be for you to work on mankind's natural desire to stay at rest. Some people just wont do it themselves.

It is a best practice to promote individual services and match them with a target audience that has a direct need. Certain times of the year come to mind when Joe has to lug out the ladder and fix, clean, or replace something on the side of the house. ...or Joe's brick patio has become a little green after a mild winter.

"Why clean your patio when ShowCase can have it done in an hour while you watch the game?"

"Gutters clogged and leaking? Schedule a free consultation on our website or call ###"

Since you're getting started, presentation will be important part of the sell. You want to get people talking about you. Offer your services to friends and family without charge - take before & after photos - and ask them to submit testimonials on your superior service, thoroughness, neatness, and fair pricing. Ask them to tell their friends.

Bring the above elements together via a functional and aesthetically pleasing web design would make for a nice pitch so prospects can learn all about you - make is simple, direct, and pleasing to the eye. Meet the aforementioned and if there is a need - they may call you.

Consider blogging about your business - it may actually interest some people if presented in a decent way. You could always frame it as an adventure in starting a new business. I find those to be the most intriguing, regardless of the industry that they are in. Standing out wins prospects, ideas, and opportunities.

Who you market yourself to will define the message. Find niches that often require the service. Create custom tailored messages for each of them. Include the usual customer relationship practices. Simply put; regular communication through direct mail, phone calls, and business visits / appointments.

Do some prospecting. Find homes & businesses that appear to be in some outward disrepair. The owner may be too busy - there is an opportunity.

Consider how you market yourself to businesses (corner deli with gum all over the sidewalk) and residential. (dirty siding, driveway fix, etc)

With businesses you would benefit from small business networking events (chamber of commerce meetings) and for residential - have a freelance designer draw up jazzy or funny postcard - mail or stick them in mailboxes.

You can also try local newspaper ads - some of them are relatively inexpensive compared to local paid search advertising via google, yahoo, or other online ad networks. Still, you may benefit from paid search. Some consider paid search to be somewhat of a waste (since most of online social media is free) while others swear by it.

I like to think that business is the sum of many parts. Each element, concept, or tool you leverage plays a role. The resources or attention they get are determined by the risk verses reward.

Good luck in your business! If you want to chat some more drop me a line at 516-882-7243

What a fun first post.

-Aegean (Lou)
1537, RE: How do you market a pressurewashing start up business?
Posted by ritalynn2593, Thu Jan-21-10 08:38 AM
Justin,

there are some great low-cost to free ideas cited in 2 books Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet and The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook both by Jay Conrad Levinson. You can also go to his website www.GMarketingInternet.com for excellent source of ideas for offline and online marketing. I highly recommend it.