Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMarketing Mix
Topic subjecttarget market crossroads
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=106&topic_id=1519&mesg_id=1519
1519, target market crossroads
Posted by se65, Fri Dec-18-09 05:08 PM
Hi. I am a jewelry maker. I make lost wax castings of small carvings i make in my home, and have them professionally cast in precious metals. They range in price from $20-$200 wholesale, twice that retail. I am just starting out, so my only real market research is family and friends, all of whom have been very receptive to my designs despite their varying ages and backgrounds.

I have researched marketing trends for the textiles and fashion accessories industry in libraries and online; only the free stuff, i have yet to pay for anything, i would like to know what others feel their value is. I am dedicated to the craft of working with metal and following trends and themes within the industry. I have the start up capitol and have been writing up the business plan.

When i get to my target market i get stuck. I plan to sell my timeless, almost indestructible pieces of jewelry at monthly/weekly heavily publicized artists markets, a few small boutiques, and at a few online artisan shops. I also plan to solicit the line to larger retailers and specialty shops nationwide. According to my market research, i should target my marketing efforts towards the female baby boomer generation.

This poses a marketing problem for me. I want to continue my career as a jewelry designer long after this line is sold out and forgotten. I love my designs but they are nowhere near a reflection of my capabilities and goals as a jewelry designer. I have NO question about the quality of my product, don't get me wrong. I am sure my current line has mass market appeal. The difficulty is in naming and marketing my new brand to appeal to a more mature conservative audience while still maintaining an open door quality that would allow for a transition into edgy high fashion.

I know this is one heck of a question. I am pretty sure my issue is a marketing one, and i think having a blank slate is a great place to start carefully crafting the proper plan of attack, i mean action.

thanks so much for your help.