Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMarketing Mix
Topic subjectRE: Im Not Sure Where To Begin! (Cleaning Business)
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=106&topic_id=1244&mesg_id=1262
1262, RE: Im Not Sure Where To Begin! (Cleaning Business)
Posted by stantong, Tue Nov-04-08 05:51 AM
I and a partner own a business development consulting firm. We only serve clients that pursue business with the federal governmnet. I have seen and written 400 page proposals for providing janitorial services.

Here is how I suggest approaching: 1)In the beginning, I would make the sales calls yourself. See how effective your script really is before you send someone else off to do your calling. Otherwise you will not be able to evaluate your process because you will not know if the script is great and the caller falls short or vice versa. Get a feel for it yourself. Minor adjustments will probably be required. The goal of the call should be to qualify, and get in front of the prospective client.

2)Initially, I would call on companies that maintain very small offices, or are not the clients that you really want to serve. This will allow you to hear the questions that you may not know the answers to or find difficult to answer. You can practice on these guys.

3) Be candid. Let them know that this is a new business---and ask them what they are looking for in a janitorial company. Ask what is most important to them. You should be taking notes here because their answers are the targets you want to hit while drafting your proposal. Asking questions is the number 1 way to get info. Ask if they are currently using a competitor, and what they like and dislike about them. Keep the likes in your proposal, and correct and stress the correction of the dislikes.

Number 3 will get them talking to you and as your rapport grows, they will speak more openly. That is where you get the real data for your proposal.

If they decide not to use you--be sure to ask why.

Every time you go through this, you will find yourself, your approach, and your proposal become more effective.