Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMarketing Mix
Topic subjectHandyman Biz
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=106&topic_id=1192
1192, Handyman Biz
Posted by cooperwinston, Mon Aug-18-08 03:57 AM
Looking for new ways to reach customers in the Orlando area. We are established, but our niche of contacting realtors for work is slow.

Any real ideas to reach homeowners? I have sent out two mailers addressed directly to homeowners names not just resident......
1193, RE: Handyman Biz
Posted by salted, Mon Aug-18-08 10:47 AM
Maybe you can try joining a business networking group and get some referrals that way. You could also manually drop by your cards in people's mailboxes. That way you'll know for sure that it arrives :-) Maybe try offering a 10 percent off special or something for first time services?
1194, RE: Handyman Biz
Posted by Steve Patrick, Tue Aug-19-08 10:05 AM
Bad idea - dropping cards or other material in mailboxes - unless they have a stamp - is illegal. The post office can get very S%*@@Y about this.

The networking idea is OK. Ditto for giving some type of special offer for new customers. Also, check around to see if there are any home improvement trade shows or small business expo's. It's a good way to get in front of a lot of people without spending a ton of money.

Check out the "Homes for sale" section of the classified ads. Look for homes being advertised as fixer-uppers, "needs TLC", or "as-is". A call to the home owner could get you some work. Explain to the seller that a more desirable property can sell faster and for a higher price.

Look around for a local senior citizen club. Offer to speak (and provide refreshments) at the next meeting. You can probably get their attention if you focus on how they can lower their utility bills by insulating their home properly.

There are still some homes being sold. If Realtors are not a great source of leads right now, try contacting home inspectors - they get paid to spot problems.

Good Luck,

Steve Patrick
1195, RE: Handyman Biz
Posted by tettegouche, Tue Aug-19-08 01:31 PM
Many people are looking for businesses online. When repair needs come up, they go to the computer to see what is available in their area. If you have a web presence, you can attract a wider range of customers. You can also use your website as an easy source to send potential customers to in order to find out more about your services, prices, service area, etc.

Here is an article that might be useful: http://hostrail.com/article04.php

Let me know if I can help,
1196, RE: Handyman Biz
Posted by cooperwinston, Wed Aug-20-08 04:41 AM
We do have a website www.homerepairsolutions.org and I have been sending mailers to newly sold homes, got info from property appraisers website.

Speaking at a senior event?? You must mean a 55 & older community. I will think about that.

We also joined the prestigious Winter Park Chamber of Commerce. We are the 2nd Handyman type biz they have.

I have been sending out bi-montly newsletters that were inspired by the cafe, I am starting to get a couple calls from them.

Thanks for the input.
1204, RE: Handyman Biz
Posted by FinallyAWinner, Sun Aug-31-08 02:58 PM
You may want to consider something as simple as hiring a local high school student who is presentable looking to knock on doors of any house that looks like it could use some repairs. If the owner was not home make sure to leave a nice flier inside the screen door.

Door to door may sound old fashion but I can tell you Verizon outsources companies to go door to door asking homeowners if they would like to upgrade to Verizon Fios from their current cable hook up and they are very successful. Why not home repair? You could probably hire the student on commission......
1213, RE: Handyman Biz
Posted by phillrw, Wed Sep-10-08 01:09 PM
A web site that you can customize yourself!

www.homerunwebservices.com

Very inexpensive!