Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFinancial Feast
Topic subjectGrowing Business
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=105&topic_id=939
939, Growing Business
Posted by veravicious, Sat Jun-11-11 05:40 AM
Hi. My business is growing, and I need to purchase a new building.
I have been doing business in this field since 1994. I started out with a 3000 sq ft retail store, which I leased, then in 2000 my landlord sold the block to a company in CA and the entire block went under when they raised the rent 400%.
So I bought a 1/2 acre and built my own shop on my own property.
Unfortunately it is also my home, and if you know anything about running a business from home, you can understand. My kids and grand kids show up, other relatives who need help show up. They just don't understand I am WORKING.
I have very high end clients showing up in $600.00 suits. I need a place that looks successful to be successful.

My newest dilema is I have recently became the official engraver for some rather large companies, FLIR, OTAK, NASA, NIKE international just to name a few, and that is in the last month. As other engravers are going under, I am becoming the last shrimp boat. I need a better showroom than my house. Something that screams confidence in my products, professionalism etc.

My clients don't mind coming to my home, it is a relaxing atmosphere and they love my dogs, but I want to enforce a better presence.

I have looked into property in my area, something under $50,000.00. I own my home outright, and can borrow up to $100,000.00 on my home.
But for everything I want to do, I might need more capital.

My dream is to have at least 3000+ sq feet, offer working room for other glass artisans to have a place to show and work in their field, to hire at least 6 employees, purchase an additional sandblaster and rotary engraver, ($25,000.00).

I have the clients I am nationwide. But because I took the last few years and worked out of my home, taking care of my husband (now disabled due to heart condition), I need to raise, find, whatever at least $100,000.00.

I work 7 days a week, 16 hour days, I have 2 employees now that work for free, just to learn the business. It has unlimited potential.

I am in high demand, but I think with a store front I could be a lot bigger and attract more clients. I plan to franchise in another 3 years across the country so others have jobs. But I need just a little push financially to get'r done.

I have learned the hard way that leasing is not an option. I will need to purchase my own property just to stay safe. When a landlord sees my success, they tend to raise the rent quite a bit. Which means I can't grow to my business's potential.

Any ideas?

Vera Johnson