Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFinancial Feast
Topic subjectNeed Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=105&topic_id=516
516, Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by shoutcrystal, Wed Apr-16-08 06:42 AM
Have a business that has been successul already. It worked. We are getting it started again. Have the busines plan and financial information to show. Please tell me easiest way to spark an interst in individuals to help get this started again. When they see what we have done, it will sell itself. But, with internet scams today people are leary to look into new ventures sometimes. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR SUCCESS STORIES???????
517, RE: Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by Phanntom, Sat Apr-19-08 11:38 AM
Crystal,

Raising money for a new venture is sometimes the easiest thing and other times it can be one of the most difficult and frustrating things there is. In my experience, the difference is preparation over idea or product.

For starters, forget about banks. Currently the lending requirements of banks are too tough for most any small business let alone a startup.

Keep in mind with the economy in its current straights, people aren't only skeptical of being scammed, they might not have the money to invest. This means you'll have to cast a wide net.

Make sure you have a very strong businessplan and start practicing your presentation. Make your presentation enthusiastic but not over the top. Because many times it's easier to get a little from a lot of people than it is to find one person to put up all you need I'd suggest doing it in a seminar environment.

Rent a meeting room at a local hotel and have simple snacks and drinks available...maybe finger sandwiches. Have a enough copies of your businessplan available to have one for each of the people you invite to attend.

Most investors are going to want to know what your exit-plan is. They're being asked to invest in a privately held company. That means that it will be very difficult to sell their shares. They are going to want to know the expected ROI, the risks and when the business will either be sold or taken public. It's at this point that investors will expect their big payday. Hopefully, they'll recieve dividends along the way, but the real payday comes down the road.

Practice your presentation until you're answering every possible question you can conceive of them asking before they have to ask it. And, if you don't have an answer, don't try to bluff. Tell them you don't have the answer at the moment but that you'll get it and get back to them...and when you supply the answer...supply it to everyone there. There may be others wondering the same thing but didn't ask. Your success will be determined by your businessplan and preparation...
Good luck
Denny

528, RE: Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by raisecapital01, Thu May-15-08 10:14 AM
I would look for someone in your area because it is not wise to look for partners online. Find a person who is already in business, and partner with him or her.
538, RE: Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by Roseb441702, Fri Jun-13-08 08:55 AM
So far the replies that have been given have given you very good pieces of advice!

As someone who does research for a living I have to tell you that you have a lot of preparation time before you!

I also think that you should start going online and researching about finding investors because I have been able to find a wealth of information online about investors and investing and what will probably surprise you the most is that there are still quite a few legitmate investors and venture capitalists still out there.

I also have a website that I'm starting to put on more information about it

http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/invest.htm

547, RE: Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by selah29, Fri Jun-20-08 07:05 AM
There are a couple of routes that I would think about going.

1. Look a p2p lending sites like www.zopa.com www.prosper.com and www.peer-lend.com
2. Look online for a couple of angel investors and see what they have to offer.

Chico
Earn 1% **DAILY** Return On Money
?The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest?. Albert Einstein
http://asdmarketing.110mb.com
556, RE: Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by Phanntom, Mon Jun-30-08 05:33 PM
I want to add one thing to my above ramblings. In NO CASE, pay any money up front to ANYONE either offering you money or offering to raise you money. It's not unusual to pay someone for finding you money, but make sure it comes from the proceeds of money raised only.
558, RE: Need Help Finding an Investor and or Silent Partner
Posted by bizconsultant, Thu Jul-03-08 04:12 AM
There was one actually a very good piece of advise on here about finding someone locally in the same type of business and partnering with them (its one of the services my company does) but even better, if its not something that a bank would normally lend money for, find out what would make it a venture they would and just go that route. We deal with such a program because the chance of the average entrepreneur finding a real investor or angel is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Not to mention the fact that you cant really solicit investors online these days (SEC violation). If you ever need to discuss some real financing options, feel free to contact me at ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

Best of luck with your venture :)

>Have a business that has been successul already. It worked.
>We are getting it started again. Have the busines plan and
>financial information to show. Please tell me easiest way to
>spark an interst in individuals to help get this started
>again. When they see what we have done, it will sell itself.
>But, with internet scams today people are leary to look into
>new ventures sometimes. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR SUCCESS
>STORIES???????