Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameFinancial Feast
Topic subjectRE: I need some Serious HELP ! Should I just give up !
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=105&topic_id=131&mesg_id=132
132, RE: I need some Serious HELP ! Should I just give up !
Posted by bizdev, Fri Jan-12-07 04:07 AM
The SBA does not give out loans. They work with banks that issue the loans and the SBA backs the loan via a guarantee. Should the borrower default on the loan the SBA picks up roughly 75% of the loan. Of course they are in no hurry to do such a thing, so they are extremely selective and the fees are pretty high. They have many requirements attached, one of them being the 20 - 30% of the cash needs must come from the borrower. In your particular case it sounds as if your portion can be gotten with a home equity loan.

Another requirement is that the borrower have applicable experience in the industry they are going into.

The very first step to applying for an SBA backed loan is to write an outstanding business plan (see below for help with that). You can then take your business plan to your local SBDC office (Small Business Development counselors housed in local colleges) for their input and advice. When the business plan is ready to go you take it to local banks to apply for your loan.

You will find much more information and detail in my business startup kit.