Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ingredients
Topic subjectDesktop Publishing Software
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=52
52, Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by lynnlewis, Thu Nov-16-06 01:46 AM
I purchased DTP software with the intention of creating items to sell and a logo for my business. I didn't realize that the software expressly forbids using its images for this purpose. How do I obtain images that I can use?
53, RE: Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by grafman, Thu Nov-16-06 10:28 PM
What package did you purchase? I can't possibly imagine how anyone would produce a DTP tool then not let you use images produced using it.

Are you sure that they didn't mean use the packages logos or images and not ones that you produce? I know some of the end user license agreements (EULAs) can be laborious to read and so create some confusion.
54, RE: Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by lynnlewis, Fri Nov-17-06 01:51 AM
I bought The Print Shop 22. I want to create a logo for myself and make cards, bookmarks etc. to sell.
55, RE: Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by grafman, Fri Nov-17-06 05:24 AM
I was looking on their website and didn't see anything that would limit your use of work that you create. They may have some sample photos or their own logos that they don't want you to use, but other than that what you build is yours.

If you could cut and paste the text or type in the section that you believe states that you are limited perhaps I or someone else reading can help interpret it for you.

Also, just to make sure I'm looking at the correct print shop 2 if you would paste the url of the site that would ensure we are looking at apples to apples. I found "Print Shop 2" doing a google search.

Gail
57, RE: Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by lynnlewis, Sat Nov-18-06 01:23 AM
I hope I'm just misinterpreting - The manual states:
YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO
Use any of the Properties as a logo, trademark or similar designation of your business.
Sell any item on which Property is copied or otherwise printed.

A sentence under CONDITIONS FOR USE:
You may not sell any Property or any item containing or carrying a copy of any Property.
58, RE: Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by grafman, Sat Nov-18-06 06:11 AM
I think that "properties" means their logos and their images, not anything you create. What would the point be of selling a product that allows you to create images you can't use?

I'm very sure this is a case of misinterpretation and I'd use the images. If you are really concerned about this call their corporate office and ask them. Most vendors are happy to answer questions like this. They more than likely have a form on their website or an email address if you choose not to call.

Gail
59, RE: Desktop Publishing Software
Posted by lynnlewis, Sat Nov-18-06 07:32 AM
Thank you so much for the input. After re-reading I think you're right. I've already sent an email and hope to get a response soon.