Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ingredients
Topic subjectRE: Setting up a new Merchant Account (accepting Visa/MC)
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=181&mesg_id=214
214, RE: Setting up a new Merchant Account (accepting Visa/MC)
Posted by bigb1026, Thu Oct-25-07 01:58 AM

Joe has provided a little bit of mis-information here. Let me clarify:

Whether or not a transaction pays 'qualified' or 'non-qualified' (i.e. higher) rates depends on HOW the credit card is used (swiped or non-swiped) and WHAT kind of Visa or MC is used, i.e. a personal card, a business card, a corporate card, a foreign card, and so on. It has nothing to do with what kind of business the merchant is engaged in. This means that, contrary to the above, if you do personal business such as a wedding, if you don't 'swipe' the card, or the card used to pay is a business or foreign card, you will indeed pay higher non-qualified rates.

The 'award' cards Joe refers to above is actually a new category of Visa and MC card types known as "Rewards" cards. They are, as Joe says, the kind of card that pays the consumer bonus points of some kind. And since Rewards cards do NOT qualify for the lowest "qualified' discount rates, the merchant will indeed pay a little more to process sales run on these rewards card.

To learn a little more about V/MC rate structure and different card types, please go to www.merchantservices-help.com

Thank you.

All the best,
Barry