Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectNeed help
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=705
705, Need help
Posted by momof3, Tue Mar-13-07 11:38 AM
Needing to come up with an idea of small business my husband can do from home. He has a 900 square foot shop with concrete floor and plenty of tools. We still have a 4-year old at home that he would like to be able to take care of (no daycare) and I have a very good day job. He has tried the building small wooden furniture (i.e. end tables) but with his time/cost he can't compete with Wal-Mart. He liked the idea of putting together pedal cars, paiting them (he has painted several real cars) and selling them (flea market, swap meets, etc) but can't find a good place to buy the kits/parts very affordably. Any thoughts on items like this he could do would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
773, RE: Need help
Posted by nightsky, Tue Feb-13-07 06:29 PM
I am assuming that he likes building furniture since he already did that. If this is correct... why even try to compete with Wal-Mart? Why not build nice furniture and become known as a quality furniture maker?

I had a customer who bought some furniture from some Shakers or Quakers or some group back East... and trust me, Wal-Mart customers did not get anything even close to the quality that this guy got.

Do things better than Wal-Mart and charge 5 times as much. There are already too many people competing for the lowest price. Try to go after the high-end customer. There are plenty of people who are willing to pay good money for quality.

Good luck!

Jeff
Night Sky Murals
The Best Universe on Planet Earth!
http://www.NightSkyMurals.com
775, RE: Need help
Posted by ElleBlue, Wed Feb-14-07 01:34 PM
I have a similar problem as your husband. I have a small fashion line, but it takes lots of time to generate income. I also end up competing against the big companies like Walmart, who get their goods for low cost, thus my prices have to be higher.

I recently started a home based business, which I believe anyone can succeed at. It requires minimal investment and not a lot of time, which will leave time for your husband to do what he loves, building furniture. If you'd like, click on the link below.

816, Deleted message
Posted by threeesixteen, Sun Feb-25-07 06:33 PM
No message