Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectGuidance Please
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=704
704, Guidance Please
Posted by Dizzy, Tue Jan-30-07 03:58 AM
I am looking to start a venture but I need some help with ideas to get the creative juices flowing. My passion in life is to save all of the neglected and abused animals. I know, a tall order to fill but my heart goes out to them that I just can't do nothing anymore. I have rescued two from shelters and I am in the process of adopting my third. I am not into the baking and selling of dog/cat treats nor do I sew cute pet outfits. I am not looking to make a fortune but I am trying to come up with something that generates enough money to help the animals and keep it going. Any suggestions? I think petco and petsmart have a good enough hold on selling pet items so I am not sure about a pet store online or brick and mortar. I could be wrong - I have been known to be incorrect at times. I am starting from scratch here so nothing will sound odd to me. I appreciate any suggestion thrown my way.

706, RE: Guidance Please
Posted by wwcap1, Tue Jan-30-07 10:44 AM
I have heard that it is possible to get government grant help to open long animal rescue shelters, as opposed to regular shelters (which generally aren't). There is a real need for this as most people still think the Humane Society is humane and they are definitely NOT!!!

You might do a advance Internet search for animal rescue shelters and contact them to see how they started.

Kent

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
http://www.capenerconsulting.com
707, RE: Guidance Please
Posted by Dizzy, Tue Jan-30-07 02:49 PM
Kent,

Thank you for your feedback. I will seriously consider this option.

709, RE: Guidance Please
Posted by BizConsulting, Wed Jan-31-07 04:52 AM
There are "no kill" shelters that could give you some advice. The popular one in my area is called Operation Kindness. You might try volunteering or working at one of these shelters. Since you share the same passion, they might give you some advice.

Best of Luck to you!

Suzanne
SHB Consultants, Inc.
www.newbiz-coaching.com
725, RE: Guidance Please
Posted by bearlygrown, Thu Feb-01-07 10:17 AM
hi there
how wonderful !

Well, my idea is geared more toward having a business that just spoils pets.
Most working 'metro' people will pay top dollar for their pet to be well cared for while they work/play.
Maybe start MORE than just a dog walking service, it can be called something creative like - BEST FRIEND VISTIOR, HUGS DAILY.
Something where you are giving love and attention to ( in my opinion) neglected animals. Where you play with them, walk them, even a light groom or spoil with a treat daily. Like a big dose of love. ( for 25 mins, it will cost $25)- part of your costs can be donated to shelters etc, so the people feel like they are helping more than their own dog, and you will too!
something creative!
My other idea is for an indoor doggie park.
Like a skate rink, where in the middle is the dog park, and on the side it is a coffee bar, computer place, etc, and the dogs mingle with eachother. That is huge and needs huge backing. but i think it would be so cool!
730, RE: Guidance Please
Posted by Dizzy, Fri Feb-02-07 06:52 AM
There is a doggy daycare close by and a number of pet sitters in my area already. I do love the idea though. Possibly if I could come up with a twist to be different it could work. The indoor doggy park does sound fun but yes, it would be a huge undertaking. I love all the ideas so far and could see myself doing all of them. I am greatful for the tips.

Thanks