Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: Looking for advice
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=622&mesg_id=642
642, RE: Looking for advice
Posted by connie, Fri Jan-19-07 02:31 PM
connie
design@byconnie.com

Thanks for the clarification. Targeting college students works well if the demographics are right. What I mean is if the students have and will spend money in the businesses that are prospective advertisers and if they are consumers of an extensive nature. What I mean by that is if the only thing they will spend money on is movies, beer, T-shirts and pizza you have a limited advertiser base. I am sure that you have considered this.

First of all, try to make a great product out of the most economical materials you can find. Typically, printing with small newspaper companies is the most economical. There are limitations with the product, but you can "splurge" on brighter, heavier paper and still come out better than typical magazine choices. Basically, control your costs on every level possible because (statistically, anyway) you are targeting an audience that is unpredictable and whose capital resources are questionable. At the same time, make sure that the graphic design & layout of your publication draws their attention. If they don't read it, all is for naught.

Next, set realistic expectations with your advertisers. You need to focus them on new marketing opportunities with an untapped income base. College students come and go so they are not developing a loyal customer base. Try to get facts, demographics, on the student base for your prospects so that they can see profit potential.

Finally, getting started in any new business is very hard without making any investment. The best way I know to overcome the "new kid on the block" anxieties that your prospects may have is to offer an introductory "start-up" promotion - a special, short-term discount price, or offer, to show good faith - that you are legitimate and trustworthy. For example, have advertisers sign an advertising agreement with a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. If they are not satisfied that you printed, distributed and reached the stated audience then they don't have to pay. (You are collecting after publication on this issue) You will have to pay the upfront costs, but I have never seen an advertiser that did not pay after the product was delivered as agreed upon. This eliminates the objection of uncertainty on delivery.

connie

Also thanks for clarifying the reputation issue. I am in NW Louisiana. A few years ago there was a riot in a very small area of town. National celebrities got involved and it became syndicated news. It was completely blown out of proportion, but only the locals and the celebrities that took advantage of it know that.