Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectHome Decor boutique idea
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=5068
5068, Home Decor boutique idea
Posted by BellatrixLefay, Thu Oct-31-13 03:23 AM
Hello everyone and Happy Halloween!

I am new to the forum but not to the site and I have a question.

I want to open a home decor boutique in my area, we don't have any, but we do have Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond etc... I do not want to carry mass produced items, but things from indie designer and myself ( I have my own home decor line). I also want to offer sewing lessons to children and young adults maybe once a week in my store. Schools here ( I live in New Jersey)have cut a lot of the arts so theses type of classes are no longer available in school.

What do you guys think of this idea?

5074, RE: Home Decor boutique idea
Posted by bizdev, Sun Nov-10-13 02:34 PM
This sounds like an interesting idea. The retail store in itself will take up all of your time, at least in the beginning. If you have never owned a brick and mortar business before you will be surprised to see just how much time goes into the "behind the scenes" work. Dealing with vendors, suppliers, the IRS, landlord, employee issues, regulations that pop up constantly out of nowhere...will seem endless.

If you have your own home decor line that will be helpful, but again, dealing with a retail shop will cut down on a lot of your design time.

Be sure to write up a realistic business plan and research funding options.