Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectPreschool Idea
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=4936
4936, Preschool Idea
Posted by loveformykids, Mon Jan-28-13 09:43 AM
Hello friends,

I need help. I currently have a decent job that I love to do since 13 years. I have grown tremendously within this job.

I now have 2 kids and pay hefty for their child care - still able to save decent money but am always guilty about not spending enough time with them. Also as they grow - cant trust the nannies too much.

I have never been a risk taker, but since I have grown within my current job and joined the company when it was a start up to where it is now, I have a good understanding of business and how things work.

I have been thinking of opening my business primarily so I can spend more time with kids and eventually when they grow up, still have my business to work at. I was thinking of opening a preschool with extended hours to offer for working parents and on the weekends to start up music/dance/art classes for them as well.

I have never stayed so long with kids - so not even sure if I can do this? Am I making a mistake in even thinking of doing this? I would appreciate any kind of advice and guidance with this.

4995, RE: Preschool Idea
Posted by Mslilclothing, Fri Jul-19-13 11:42 AM
Hello,

I am a preschool teacher and I must say that it is not an easy job! It is rewarding, but the hours can be grueling. We have to deal with licensing, food program (we are given a monthly budget for food expenses), and children's council. Other than that working with children is an amazing experience. It is great that you are thinking about this; preschools are always needed!

In order to start you will need to obtain your preschool certification. Check if your local community college offers child development courses. I suggest to volunteer at a local preschool or daycare. This will give you a clear understanding of what to expect.

Hope this was helpful!
4996, RE: Preschool Idea
Posted by joeptsearle, Tue Jul-23-13 03:13 AM

As with any business, for a while you will be working VERY long hours to get it off of the ground, especially where you will be running a facility. This may put even more strain on your relationship with the kids. On the other hand it is very rewarding when everything is in place. The biggest upside being that if you do put the work in early, you can eventually automate your business, IE employing other people and intervening when you see fit.

If you do decide that it is too much to take on in the long run, it is possible to set up your own online based business. This is a different route but the best thing about it is you have full control on how often you work, and you can be with the kids pretty much all of the time, although you would need to focus on building your business.

I hope this gives you some insight.
Kind regards

Joe searle

If you would like help with getting off the ground in your online business, connect with me below.

http://connect.thesixfigurementors.com/personal?id=joeptsearle
5008, RE: Preschool Idea
Posted by msguru, Wed Aug-07-13 09:33 AM
Hi there,

I really wanted to reach out to you as I work with many people who have started their own business because they too did not have enough time to spend with their children.

I admire you idea about opening a preschool, however, I must say that starting something like this and making it successful takes a lot of work, includes a lot of prep, finance and stress, and the possibility of taking you away from your goal: to spend time with your children.

I do however, think that you are on the right track with your thoughts about starting a business. However, if you are really seeking to change your lifestyle and spend more time with the family and less time working, then I would suggest researching the online business world.

I say this for a number of reasons.

1- Everything you do can be automated.
2 - You work when you want where you want as long as you have a working computer and an internet connection.
3 - You can build your business part time, which reduces the risk for you in terms of your income.
4 - You can build this business quickly and cost effectively as you do not have to pay for all the overhead associated with traditional brick and mortor businesses.

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Oria