Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectNeed vs. Want
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=456
456, Need vs. Want
Posted by afad05, Sun Dec-03-06 03:23 PM
Nowdays I'm just wondering which would be more business smart.....to offer people something they "want" or something they "need"...

More and more businesses are shipping work out of this country. Therefore, American's are losing jobs and income. Many have to be very careful as to what they "chose" to spend their hard earned money on. What are some "needs" out there that will be around for many more years to come? I can think of alot of things I would like to do that would be "fun" as far as a business, but I think people are clamping down on their spending habits for hobbies/entertainment purposes. What do you all think?

Thanks for your input.
God bless.
457, RE: Need vs. Want
Posted by Nancy, Sun Dec-03-06 08:21 PM
There's plenty of opportunity online for selling products that people want as well as need. (If I recall correctly, the figure is well over $100 billion for this year.)

Most consumers who buy online do so primarily because of convenience, and the products they buy aren't usually what you might consider a need.

If I were you, I would research those "fun" ideas that you have for a business. You're going to be investing a lot of time, so it should be work that you can enjoy.

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com
480, RE: Need vs. Want
Posted by Brian_Va, Tue Dec-12-06 08:29 AM
Walmart offers both.
482, RE: Need vs. Want
Posted by Brian_Va, Tue Dec-12-06 09:54 AM
Let me reply to myself for you to read, my 4 year old doesn't want he "needs" Spiderman toys. Even during a bad economy I always found fun cheap stuff to keep me entertained.
481, RE: Need vs. Want
Posted by bizdev, Tue Dec-12-06 09:15 AM
Needs vs wants.
My daughter was complaining recently about how needy she was and I told her she wasn't needy, she was wanty.

So if your goal is a business that offers "fun" rather than necessities then you should do it. There's not much point in starting a business that you think you should do rather than one you want to do.