Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectAny business ideas?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=432
432, Any business ideas?
Posted by LaRay0607, Sun Nov-26-06 09:49 AM
It is my dream to own my own business, not for the money (although its a perk), but to have my hard work and precious time to be dedicated to a project (business) that my husband and I start, not for someone else's benefit. I believe that you will only be fulfilled in life if you spend everyday doing something you are passionate about.

I have a marketing degree with work experience in banking and sales/purchasing. I enjoy research & analysis, writing, marketing & PR. My passions are working with children, scrapbooking, real estate, home decorating/remodeling, traveling and cooking. I do not have much money to start a business, so mine will most likely be home based, at least in the beginning.

The problem is that I dont have a business idea that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to begin. Sometimes, it helps to have others who are outside the box to point out obvious ideas. Do you have any low cost ideas for a business that I could start?

Thanks in advance!

Tori
437, a few ideas
Posted by MarlinCreek, Sun Nov-26-06 07:26 PM
I'll start with a shameless plug of my site Marlin Creek (link at bottom)... where I record various business ideas. I don't categorize by starting cost though.

Even if you can't find the ONE idea on the site, I am a believer that by reading / researching ideas, you'll be able to find bits and pieces that you can use to create your own unique offering.

Since you mentioned real estate and home deco / remodeling, there is one that you might get some ideas from...
http://marlincreek.com/content/view/88/35/
At the bottom of that post, there is a link to a business that is doing something similar (and the owner has some posts up on this forum somewhere as well).

Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com
438, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by maileen, Sun Nov-26-06 07:35 PM
Well, it sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge in the marketing arena. I have a marketing degree as well, however my background is in recruiting. Go figure :) I needed a low cost alternative to starting a business, however I wanted something fairly recognizable (I didn't want to do all of the ground work) and I needed something immediate. I was introduced to Fortune Marketing several months ago, and although not making enough to retire from recruiting just yet...I have been pleasantly compensated for marketing very reputable products. My website is www.fhtmus.com/mcalhoun. Take a look at the products on the left hand side of my page. (No overhead, no distribution, no inventory with very well known products) I would also like for you to take a look at www.getonthetrain.net/presentation
The Fortune people have been tremendous in helping me start my business and the cost was miniscule to the returns I'm getting. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Happy hunting,
Maileen Calhoun
www.fhtmus.com/mcalhoun
mcalhoun@fhtm.com

441, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by DBeavers, Sun Nov-26-06 08:11 PM
>It is my dream to own my own business, not for the money
>(although its a perk), but to have my hard work and precious
>time to be dedicated to a project (business) that my husband
>and I start, not for someone else's benefit. I believe that
>you will only be fulfilled in life if you spend everyday doing
>something you are passionate about.
>
>I have a marketing degree with work experience in banking and
>sales/purchasing. I enjoy research & analysis, writing,
>marketing & PR. My passions are working with children,
>scrapbooking, real estate, home decorating/remodeling,
>traveling and cooking. I do not have much money to start a
>business, so mine will most likely be home based, at least in
>the beginning.
>
>The problem is that I dont have a business idea that doesn't
>cost an arm and a leg to begin. Sometimes, it helps to have
>others who are outside the box to point out obvious ideas. Do
>you have any low cost ideas for a business that I could
>start?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Tori
>
Tori,

How about a business that matches not only your need for a low cost start-up, but that also fits with your marketing background, as well as your experience in purchasing and your enjoyment for research and analysis?

I started my business on a shoestring back in 1984, working it strictly part-time until it provided enough for me to take the plunge and go full-time in '87. As the business grew, the expansion was paid for from the profits the business generated.

And, it has to bonus of not just provide money as a perk, but as replacement income to match a full-time job or supplement Social Security in later years.

Your work history in banking is probably a good indicator that you are a "people-person". That fits in well in the world of promotional advertising sales. It could even be that if you are still in the same area, that the bank could become a customer of yours.

As for the cost of start-up, the dealership is free. Their is an optional 35-lb kit of materials, but you can test the opportunity in your local market (or even online) without the kit, and receive it free of charge when your sales reach $1500. The get the kit up front, there is an $85 refundable deposit.

If selling promotional products to business, industry, non-profit organizations, schools, and gov't agencies from local to state and federal seem interesting to you, you'll find more details and can see hundreds of sample products by visiting my website -

www.CuttingEdgeAdvertising.com

I also mail a 3 1/2 lb. information packet, complete with the 228-page "Best Buys" catalog and starter materials, at no charge. This could be a home-based business that truly matches your criteria as well as your business education and skills.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dennis
443, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by bizdev, Tue Nov-28-06 07:36 AM
A home based low cost business? How about an Internet business? Especially since you also enjoy writing and marketing is your specialty and Internet biz would be the natural way to go.

Check out these ideas:
http://www.smallbusinessstartup.biz/internet/

444, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by Nancy, Tue Nov-28-06 11:52 AM
Tori,

You might be able to carve out a profitable niche (or niches!) for yourself as an online information publisher. It sounds like a perfect fit given everything you detailed in your post.

You mentioned travel as one of your passions. If you have a favorite destination, region, etc., that might be the niche for you. You could start with a focus such as the best restaurants, hotels, places to shop, or tourist attractions in your favorite city.

Other possibilities for a travel niche would be the best, or the most affordable, kid-friendly, or pet-friendly bed-and-breakfast inns.

Cooking is another broad area that you "niche-ify" into Italian, Mediterranean, Cajun, Vegetarian, you name it.

There are many ways to generate revenue on a content site. The main thing is to choose an area that genuinely interests you so that writing content is easy. That's important because you'll be writing a lot of it to keep visitors coming back.

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com
462, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by FileHawk, Mon Dec-04-06 09:09 AM
Have you thought of house flipping? Basically, you buy a decrepit looking house and fix it up and sell if for a profit. With a passion in real estate and home decorating, this could be a good option for you. I know that there are plenty of opportunities that enable you to make a lot of money depending on the market you are in.
478, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by wanda, Tue Dec-12-06 04:55 AM
I think a home based service business would do you well. Business consulting or marketing consulting. Not very much overhead cost (maybe marketing and licensing fees) and no product inventory to worry about.
Although I did like the house flipping idea too.
487, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by Home Stager, Wed Dec-13-06 04:30 AM
I was in your shoes about 8 years ago, before starting a Home Staging business. During the high season my schedule typically has me staging 3 homes each day and I love what I do! You can spend a lot or a little on gaining info. A few years ago I wrote a 60+ page Manual to help others--my answer to the gazillion Emails I would receive asking about how to get started. For more info you are welcome to visit my site at HomeStagingByC.com. The Manual tells you everything you need to know about how to successfully start and market your business, and it can be as inexpensive to start as a box of business cards. As for flipping, unless you know what you're doing you can get totally upside down quickly in this venture, and since you are looking for a low-cost start-up, flipping wouldn't fit the bill! Good luck to you!
495, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by darla, Thu Dec-14-06 08:21 AM
HI Tori,
my name is Jacque I am 24years old and I just opened my own dog day care center. I have only one thing to say to you. Follow your heart and the money will come. It sounds silly but true. the only money i had when I opened was the money in my pocket(true) I could not get any kind of small buisness loan or personal loan. The money went very fast and now I am down to nothing. I cant even tell you how happy I am. even though I am struggling pretty bad I am the happiest I have ever been in my life. Things happen the way they are too. Follow your dreams, start small and you will know what I mean someday. i love what I do and not once has it felt like work to me.
best of luck
Jacque
595, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by connie, Thu Jan-04-07 06:20 PM
Specialty magazines, newspapers, etc. are still in demand (in spite of the electronic age - paper is not yet obsolete). You appear to have insight into a variety of areas that are the foundations of most major magazines. These can be done on a local basis, too, and are usually received very well when they are presented correctly. The business is not real complex, but does require multi-tasking, people-skills, energy and creativity. And like any other entrepreneurial venture, a dogged determination to succeed.

Cost to start can be almost nothing depending on whether and how much advertising or sponsorship you have. Good luck Tori!

connie
design@byconnie.com
637, RE: Any business ideas?
Posted by eelgib, Fri Jan-19-07 04:54 AM
Hi Tory,

Just seen your post, my wife and I were in a similar situation to you when we started up our Murder Mystery Entertainments business in 1989, back then murder dinners/weekends were not so well known but we managed to promote the concept to hotels, restaurants, bars, dining clubs, corporate companies, travel companies etc.

We did literally start from the dining table with a telephone and an old word processor and in our first year did around 30 events, over the next seven years well over 1000 shows and in 1997 sold on the production side of the business.

We continued to write scripts and offered it as a business opportunity in the UK, however we just recently published an e-book on 'How to set up and run a successful Murder Mystery business'.

The link to take a look is http://www.cloakanddaggerentertainments.co.uk I hope you do take a look as it may be just what you may be looking for!

Best wishes

Lee roberton. :-)