Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectOnline editing/proofreading business
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=4208
4208, Online editing/proofreading business
Posted by coffeetalk21, Wed Mar-03-10 03:17 PM
I've been looking into starting an online editing/proofreading business. I have over four years of experience at the university level so I feel that I have the skill set, but does anyone know if this idea is profitable? There are so many large, "factory-style" online editing services that I'm not sure what competition would be like. I intend to promote myself at my alma mater and other nearby universities. Thoughts?
4209, RE: Online editing/proofreading business
Posted by jimkclifton, Thu Mar-04-10 12:06 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'm not sure about how competitive it is. I'd start by contacting some smaller on-line publishing companies to see if they hire any freelancers. One I'm familiar with is AuthorHouse.com.
Find out how to make $3900 per month while you get started with your new business by watching this 7 minute movie at www.myhomeoffice.ws

Good luck and have fun!

Jim Clifton
jim@myhomeoffice.ws
4215, RE: Online editing/proofreading business
Posted by annalaurabrown, Sat Mar-06-10 09:12 AM
I'm sure there is a market for it but when I think of this kind of business I think more of people using these services offline. Try and find some similar business online and see if there is a way you could improve upon what they are already offering.
4338, RE: Online editing/proofreading business
Posted by DeniseTaylor, Tue May-18-10 06:10 AM
Hi

Just because there is competition, doesn't mean you can't do this. It just means it will take longer.

I know of a person who does this and makes a good living from it. The way she gets business is by having an information site regarding writing, which gets tons of free search engine traffic. She's built quite a community on her site and her visitors really love her and her information.

She gets clients because she spins the proofreading in as a helpful service and her visitors love that. It's a different approach than just building a site that displays your wares. The traffic she pulls from the information gives her a steady stream of new people visitors who see links to her services. Otherwise, her site would just sit there or would be buried under the hundreds of other proofreading sites on the Net.

Saw your post and thought I'd share this idea. Hope it helps.