Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectA lot of knowledge needed
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=39
39, A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by caravalhophoto, Tue Aug-15-06 09:28 AM
I have recently, last 2 years, been almost obsessive with garage sales, antique stores and giveaway columns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pack rat. I love to refinish or reuse the items and sell them at future garage sales.

I think I have a business here. But how do I turn this idea into a business? Does anyone have any ideas, name, business plan samples? I guess it is a "Trash to Treasure" type store.

Thank you for your thoughts,

caravalhophoto
caravalhophoto@yahoo.com
:7
41, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by wwcap1, Thu Aug-17-06 06:43 AM
You might want to investigate whether there are any flea markets in your area where you can set up a permanent booth. You would then acquire items from the sales you mentioned and sell them from your booth. And walla! You have a business.

Kent Capener
Capener Consulting, LLC
capenerconsulting.com
43, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by iws, Fri Aug-18-06 10:18 AM
I'm sure you know about, yes, eBay. That may be a starting point for you to look into.

You could also check with some local store owners and work out a consignment deal with them.

Let us know how it goes.
54, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by theresavevans, Tue Aug-22-06 03:33 AM
Well what you're doing is refurbishing and it sounds great to me! I guess you can just continue what you are doing. Just look into what type of business this would be considered and get your legal act together, ie. business license, permits, etc. I think you could turn this into an Auction business rather than yard sales. That way you can take as much time as you need to get all your items together and ready for selling. Here are a few names for you:
"Buried Treasures", "Golden Treasures", "Old to New Treasures", "Yard Refurbs Anonymous", "Antique Gems Plus", "Home to Home Refurbishings", "Around the Block Goods", "There & Back Yard Sales", "Improved Items Auction", "Grand Goods Auction Center", "Upgraded Items Plus", "Recycle Homes Sales & Auctioning".

Well those are all I can think of right now. Good luck with your venture. Signed Theresa Evans theresavevans@comcast.net
63, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by freejerky, Wed Aug-23-06 03:22 PM
Good idea and good thing it is a passion cause it sounds like a lot of time is involved. It could be very profitable though...even on ebay I would assume.
71, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by caravalhophoto, Fri Aug-25-06 06:52 AM
Thank you all for your ideas, they are all very helpful. I loved the name "Buried Treasures".

What I have decided to do is rent a storage, $125.00 a month, 2nd month was a $1.00. I am also allowed to work in it, but not sell, so my refurbishing will be done there, along with storing it...yeahh, I find this a win-win for the relationship, my husband was feeling a little clostraphobic.
I'm saving for an online website and in the mean time, getting legal. I am not sure of these legal terms, I'm again asking for advise in lay mans terms..the difference of SP vs LLC vs ?
As far as Ebay is concerned, wouldn't I have to be worried about shipping? That would be good for lite items, but furniture seems like a lot of work to ship? I am looking into marketing, I am a creative person, but again, need help on this, my son tells me that color is very important...what jumps out at people, so I am learning about this subject also.
Alot of work to have some fun, its almost to scary.

Thanks again,
caravalhophoto:+
72, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by Nancy, Fri Aug-25-06 10:19 AM
You mentioned selling online and shipping. It would be much easier as well as cheaper to specialize in small, lightweight items for online sales.

Vintage jewelry might be something you'd really enjoy. You said you were creative. So, you could take old, broken pieces of jewelry - broaches with the clasp missing, earrings without a clip, etc. - and basically "refurbish" or create new pieces of jewelry. Since they're broken, you should be able to get them for very little. You might even advertise specifically for pieces like that.

Many people do much better selling online by focusing on a more specific area (aka "niche") anyway. On your website, you could still promote everything else that you offer for everyone in your local market.

Nancy

Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com
84, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by theresavevans, Mon Aug-28-06 02:41 AM
I'm not sure if you would be interested, but HSN (Home Shopping Network) is a HUGE way to sell your items. If I'm not mistaken it is of little or no cost to you in order to sell on there. Millions watch and buy on the network and it's a cheap way to go. If you go on their website (www.hsn.com) click on become a vendor and fill out a short application and they will send you more info. or contact you. You can even view their terms and conditions on the site which are very basic, short, simple and to the point. You do not need an attorney to understand them. If a buyer is intersted in buying your poducts they will contact you. I very strongly suggest you look into that because it's an easy and low expense way to go to get you started. Plus your stuff is televised nationwide. Good luck and I really hope you try that. Who knows, it may become a long term thing for you.
91, RE: A lot of knowledge needed
Posted by caravalhophoto, Mon Aug-28-06 04:39 PM
Great idea, I would have never thought of checking into HSN, thanks for the link...I'll keep you all posted.