Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectNeed help with my business ideas
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=3889&mesg_id=3889
3889, Need help with my business ideas
Posted by jbear0000, Wed Sep-09-09 10:06 PM
I have had many ideas for a business over the past few years, all of which I have not acted upon yet. I have not had a lot of money to get anything started until now. My wife is closing out a retirement fund and we will have a few thousand dollars to get something started. I don't need to earn enough to leave my job or anything, but a couple hundred dollars extra a month would really help us.

Below are all the ideas I have had to try to earn money and the problems I see with them. I think I would enjoy doing each of these ideas, some more than others. So can anyone help me with which way to go? Any help with the problems I have listed would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
Idea 1: Buy items (shoes, electronic accessories, toys, etc) in bulk at wholesale to sell new at a discounted price on ebay. I know how to use ebay and have sold some items there in the past.

Problem: I have no idea where to buy items at wholesale. Good brand name items, not just piles of junk.
Idea 2: Learn to sew and make dresses for girls age 1-5, sell on ebay, offer dress to everyone who bid even if they lost the auction.

Problem: I have no idea how hard it will be to learn to sew and make nice dresses people will want to buy. I suppose I can learn, but I may not be gifted in this way.
Idea 3: Create a web-site that allows users to review just about anything (movies, music, video games, books, cars, clothing, etc.) Users will earn points for writing reviews, making purchases, having their review voted for positively, points can be redeemed for credit towards items or even cash.

Problem: I don't have the technical know how to create such a web-site or the money to hire people to do it. Also, there are many crappy review sites out the already and I'd hate to become one of them.
Idea 4: Convert peoples VHS and miniDV tapes to DVD.

Problem: I know how to do this, but don't have equipment to provide high quality video. Also there are other sites already doing this that are more expensive, but can provide high quality. I also have no idea how much demand there is for this service.
Idea 5: Start a video series about a wizard who accidentally brought himself to Earth and is trying to adapt to our world while trying to find a way home. This series would mostly be me in costume in front of the camera telling stories of my characters world. I have the equipment to do this and the know how.

Problem: Sure I may become an Internet celebrity, but I want to earn money, not fame. From what I have heard YouTube's partner program doesn't pay out very much. I could try for a sponsor like Matt Harding from "Where the Hell is Matt", but am unsure of how to do that. I also have no idea how much people would want to watch a fat bald guy wearing a wizard costume telling stories.
Idea 6: Start a blog. Place Google Adsense ads on my blog and recommend products that I am an affiliate for with Amazon.com.

Problem: What the heck do I write about? There are hundreds of thousands of blogs out there already. How can I choose a topic that no one else is already doing and do it in such a way that people want to read what I have to say and might click on my ads.

Sorry this post got so long. Any advice on these ideas would be great.