Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectCould use a few suggestions
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=3846
3846, Could use a few suggestions
Posted by wcjj, Mon Jul-27-09 04:11 PM
Good Evening All,

I am looking into starting a computer store in my town. I am looking for suggestions on what services might be feasible that would set the business apart from others. Of course, there would be the standard computer service and repairs, networking setups (home and business), web services, etc. But I am looking for services / products to offer that will be unique. One of the services I have considered is offering local file backup and data storage. While I know there are many options for backup over the 'net, I also feel that there are many who are not savvy to it. I would appreciate any honest evaluation and suggestions.

TIA

Bill
3851, RE: Could use a few suggestions
Posted by annalaurabrown, Thu Jul-30-09 03:18 AM
what about offering classes on how to make money online including social media classes? There are plenty of people who would be willing to teach them for a low cost or even free if they are trying to get publicity. You don't live in Utah by chance do you? since I would be willing to do it. no seriously though I think this would be a great idea.
3853, RE: Could use a few suggestions
Posted by hostingdiva, Wed Aug-05-09 05:33 AM
Hi Bill:

Have you canvased your area to see what other businesses are offering? You'll want to do that first. You'll also want to find out their pricing.

I think offering classes on how to use the internet and just simple computer training would be a really great service. Maybe you could go to people's homes where they are already comfortable. I've dealt with a lot of customers that are not tech savvy at all - for example, they do not know how to resize images, do not know how to find files in their own computer, etc. So, I know that market is there. But, given the current ecomony, I do not know that you can earn enough money to keep a brick and mortar store open.

Have you considered just starting your own website for now offering some services to see how it goes before you dive into paying monthly rent? You could try to drum up business by using craigslist.

Best of luck!! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~