Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectWhere do ideas come from?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=3632&mesg_id=3632
3632, Where do ideas come from?
Posted by beckybee, Thu May-14-09 02:45 AM
Like so many others I am struggling to find an idea. Some people say "Do what you love" others say, "Do what you know", and others still say "Do what you're good at".

Now, I may sound like an absolute loser here if I admit, I fall into none of those categories:

- What I love: History and life in different periods through time - but what can I do with that?
- What I know: Nothing. I'm not really qualified in anything in particular except IT.
- What I'm good at: My current job in IT, but I don't love it and I hate working for other people.

Do other people look at themselves and question what talents they actually have as well? And where do business ideas come from? I'd like to do something crafty with my hands, but I can't draw or sew, and other ideas like gift baskets and baking have been done to death. I've tried thinking of new twists on these (I love Baby Bouquets for example), but my mind goes blank.

I try searching around the house for inspiration, I go out into the yard, I try to think about things that bug me that I could make easier for people and I'm still at a loss.

I'm not here to ask "Tell me what I can do", I guess I just wanted to share my frustration and see where other people got their ideas from.

Here are two things I am passionate about. If anyone has a fantastic brainwave based on these, I'm all ears (or eyes).....

1. I like looking back to the 1940's and earlier because I believe they had a better life even though it was harder work
2. I like living in the country and hate the fact that I have to drive an hour to get to work in the city every day. I wish I could just stay at home and do gardening and housework and have a small home business.

Open to any advice, suggestions, other rants.....