Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectgood idea? what do you think
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=3577
3577, good idea? what do you think
Posted by jemerson, Sun Apr-12-09 08:13 PM
i was thinking about starting my own engineering company. my company will produce a new line of cars that are powered by compressed air. so there will be no need to ever stop and get gas again. as well as cars my company would also sell equipment to the military such as body armor, newer i.e.d. (improvised explosive devices) destruction robots. i know this is a long shot but what do you think?
3580, RE: good idea? what do you think
Posted by annalaurabrown, Tue Apr-14-09 04:12 AM
are you an engineer? If not, you would have to parter with one but yes I think it could work and work well.
3610, RE: good idea? what do you think
Posted by jimkclifton, Tue Apr-28-09 09:38 AM
I love the fact that you are getting creative and trying to produce an income with your own business!

I am also very curious about the power that can be generated by a compressed-air engine.

Meanwhile, have you thought about getting a domain name/website for your new business? You might want to check this out: www.myhomeoffice.ws.

Have fun and good luck!

jim@myhomeoffice.ws
3617, RE: good idea? what do you think
Posted by duder0398, Wed Apr-29-09 07:44 AM
Well,you have one problem that is a killer.First of all an air compressed car is really dangerous.Lets say someone fills up their "air" car at home(using electricity of the grid which is powered by fossil feuls in most cases),then they get into an accident but not a fender bender a serious accident like a semi or train strike.You be creating a huge explosion(like a grenade the size of your air tank),that could throw shrapnel everywhere.So theres that,not completely impossible but super difficult engineering because the general public will find a way to break it,always.So do you really want potential bombs moving at 70mph +?And then there is the whole your not rich thing,which means if you have an idea to cut out the oil company in a big way they buy you off and kill it.There is a water powered car that runs on a turbine and battery guess who owns it?.....Exxon.But if you can get a real design and solve a huge set of obstacles then kudos.
3618, RE: good idea? what do you think
Posted by hostingdiva, Wed Apr-29-09 11:39 PM
When you start, you really have to pick a market - either consumer or military. I say this because if you're providing items to the military, then you have to comply with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which is going to be really expensive. As a start up, you won't be able to afford to serve both markets.

Whenther your idea is actually good - I have no idea as I'm not an engineer. I defer to the experts :-)

Best of luck!!
~~~~~~~
3622, RE: good idea? what do you think
Posted by ctrail, Thu Apr-30-09 03:10 PM
I do not know the technology of compressed air but it sounds exciting. I would suggest that you not focus on a car but on the engine its self. With a new technology I beleive you should focus on the innovative aspect first. Don't loose focus on things like seats and tires.

If you need help with assembly, logistics, inventory management, or order fulfillment please consider us. I am part of a new management team at a logistics company near Greensboro, NC. Our new team is looking to use the same competencies that the company has developed in the furniture industry and apply to other industries. We would be a perfect assembly location for you because the industry base around us can easily supply parts and our 360,000 sq ft facility is more adequate to be used to do assembly. Check out our website, www.servicelogisticsinc.com and contact me or Ronnie Bullins if you think we can help.

Thanks,
Chad Trail