Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectApplication of current abilities to small business.
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=3522
3522, Application of current abilities to small business.
Posted by walela12, Thu Mar-19-09 12:51 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I've recently decided that I want to start a business of my own. The thing is, I'm not sure what I want to do. I have interests in animals (I'm currently a Veterinary Assistant), art (specifically Native American), and gardening. I've taken natural resources, animal science, and plant science classes. I have a wide range of knowledge in all these areas, I just don't know exactly how to apply this knowledge to a business. I don't mind starting out small, home-based, and part time. Any ideas?
3523, RE: Application of current abilities to small business.
Posted by achievedisplay, Thu Mar-19-09 04:07 PM
Passion is great. Have you ever been working at something you love and realized that there was a difficulty? or that this could be done in such a better and more productive way? Each one of those realizations is an opportunity.

That is a way to look at it from a "what I love" perspective.

Now what do you like about them? What are your strengths? What empowers you? Check out: http://www.tromboneplayerwanted.com/

Get motivated. Start trying something and then how to learn from your mistakes. Learn how to realize your mistakes.
3524, RE: Application of current abilities to small business.
Posted by daretodream, Fri Mar-20-09 01:52 AM

Service with a smile...
3540, RE: Application of current abilities to small business.
Posted by Mymarket-ease, Tue Mar-24-09 08:47 AM
You've taken a great first step in identifying your desire to start your own business.

Now, the next step is critical. In deciding what type of business to start, it's important that you create a business that is tailored to a need in the marketplace. If you create something for which there is no need, you will be wasting time and money unfortunately.

First, with your knowledge of these areas create a list of the problems/opportunities within the areas of art, gardening and animal science. For instance, is there a problem that gardeners consistently experience and need help with? Is there a confusing aspect of art or animal care for which people always need assistance?

After you've created these lists, you'll see where there may be a lot of opportunity.

If you still need assistance, I can help you from there.

Good luck.