Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectStarting healty cafe
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=339
339, Starting healty cafe
Posted by monkeyislandrn, Sun Oct-29-06 07:26 AM
I live in an area that is mainly a retirement age population. We have several fast food restaurants and a few fine dining restaurants. We are surrounded by a large lake and have a very health older population. I would like to open a cafe for breakfast/lunch that caters to healthy foods. (ie healty sandwiches, soups, deserts) No guilt eating out. Any ideas? No, I don't have ANY experience in this field. I am a nurse. Also would like to offer delivery for the lunch crowd.
341, RE: Starting healty cafe
Posted by Adlavrinel, Sun Oct-29-06 09:02 AM
That sounds like a new idea and it sounds great. Younger people that are health concious would come to this type of place just make sure that the food is still tasty. You can look at The Food Network for healthy recipes for food. Good luck.
352, RE: Starting healty cafe
Posted by bizdev, Mon Oct-30-06 03:55 PM
Trying to start a restaurant is very difficult and very costly. If you have no experience it will be that much more difficult if not nearly impossible. You will not be able to get a loan without the experience behind you to help convince the lenders that you will be able to pull this off.

However, your idea could work as a catering business. That would work especially well with your lunch deliveries to the seniors in your community. Try thinking in smaller terms rather than as a full out restaurant.

Write out your business plan so you know how you will fund and market your business.

568, RE: Starting healty cafe
Posted by Cilantrochef, Mon Jan-01-07 09:18 AM

Im in a similar situation. I am looking to start a vegetarian (healthy eating) cafe and bakery, as well. I have 15 years restaurant experience as well as catering, along with a culinary degree. I currently run a small baking business as well. (www.happycookingonline.com) I think the best way to go is to check out local businesses that serve similar menus in your area. Check out cafes or caterers that deliver and see what they charge and that will give you a bit of a start. Focus on what and who your audience is and ask around to see how receptive it would be? Im currently in that phase at the moment. We've been at the local farmers markets for3 years and have gotten a good response to our baked goods, so this year we are looking to showcase our sandwiches to see what kind of response that gets as well.

When it comes to the restaurant business its better to work in the industry to get and idea of what is needed to make a go so you wont have any shock. Believe me if more people knew how hard it is to do what i do they wouldn't be so keen on it. Don't believe the rock star chef hype of the Foodnetwork.

Good Luck!!
Glory lies in the attempt to reach ones goal and not in reaching it.