Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: Starting another biz, under my original business
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=329&mesg_id=337
337, RE: Starting another biz, under my original business
Posted by Phanntom, Sat Oct-28-06 06:54 AM
Ashley,

You should talk to your accountant and attorney about structuring it. In my case I have a company (LLC) that is 18yrs old. About 9 years ago we started another company, unrelated in product etc. from the first one. It was formed as an LLC also but the ownership (Member) is the first LLC. About 7 yrs ago we started a joint-venture with another company where products etc. were in common with the first. Again, it's an LLC with our interest held by our orginal LLC, and the other firms corporation holds their interest in it. The profits flow from each into the original LLC and are distributed from there.

While this may seem convoluted to some, there was reasoning behind it. First, it was a part of our exit plan. Any of the others can fail without harming the orginal business, and we can sell any or all of the businesses at any time without having to try and figure out how to separate them. Each has it's own business license, insurance, accounting etc.
Hope this helps.
Denny