Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectClassic Movies video store?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=3121&mesg_id=3121
3121, Classic Movies video store?
Posted by themtb2007, Sun Nov-02-08 05:08 AM
I work for a cable provider. due to the digital requirements, many older people and anti cable families (there are a lot of them) have no option but to sign up to companies like mine. Also, many people who are older have dvd players given them by their children. They have learned to use them and rely on christmas gifts and the like to get a collection to match their vcr collections. MANY MANY people retain the vcr players as a result of not being able to easily get the movies they loved from the past.

The movie and music industry seems to think that 16 to 21 year olds is the market to reach for. As a result the quality of movies has diminished. What they stupidly dont understand is that same demographic are bootleggers, and pass info on how to rip from the net.

So they are losing money. As a result of losing money, they GIVE less toward the making of movies. Hence TERRIBLE movies such as the Latest Indiana Jones movie!

Older people (40 and up which includes me) are NOT anti- video store, but we all saw the video store Hanging their hats on new releases and the movies we like were shelved and placed in such a way that they are hard to find.

For example..If I wanted to watch a marx brothers movie.. I have to order it or some other ####

this is the only reason the older movies sit and collect dust. They are a disrespected genre, to a disrespected demographic.

This makes a HUGE hole.

What do you guys think?

remember... dont just base your views on the fact that no one goes to video stores for those movies today. Remember, the selection is HORRIBLE. What I am looking to open is a store that is large as a Hollywood video with a selection that is EASY to read the covers (not shelved sideways, side by side) as if they were new. Located close to a lot of senior living buildings where I live. And also there is a need for african american movies from the past, such as claudine. Black movies usually never hit the shelf once they leave the new release section.

advertising is on WGBO, a oldies station in chicagoland, and going to senior living areas and delivering videos.

I am willing to also sell (not rent) classic radio shows off kiosks like cracker barrel does.