Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectCake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2957&mesg_id=2957
2957, Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please
Posted by dwcrosby1, Wed Sep-03-08 07:40 AM
Ok, here goes.

A friend of mine and I decorate cakes for family members and friends. Everyone tells us we should open up a cake business. The county we live in does not allow us to bake cakes and sell them out of our homes (legally) due to zoning laws. Since this is something the two of us would do together without family finances we came up with an idea. We are always researching the new and up to date trends for decorating cakes, trying to create that WOW factor. Practically everytime we do this, we have to oder cake supplies on-line because there is no one in Charlotte that sells those itmes that are more than the average decorating supplies.

So, we were thinking maybe we can try to get a very, very small store/store front/space with a very, very small commerical kitchen, sell those supplies that we know are not available locally. In addition to that maybe we can sell our 3 or 4 most popular signature specialty cakes (no decorations) until we can see fit to expand into more of the decorating side of buisness. Decorating takes time and initially we thought it would be best to sell the specialty cakes with out all the additional frills until later. If we are having trouble finding cakes supplies locally we are thinking there has got to be more cake decorators/hobbiest that feel the same way. It would be so nice to be able to go get supplies locally without having to pay shipping or extra shipping if the item is needed for a special occassion and time is critical.

What do you all think???

I would really like some feedback and anyone that has a business in Charlotte, NC may have some suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Sina