Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectTech Support Service
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2873
2873, Tech Support Service
Posted by richv, Wed Aug-13-08 07:25 AM
Hello,
I need some advice regarding this idea I have. I currently work fulltime as a network systems admin and programmer.
Lately I seem to also be the defacto tech support guy for all the employee's home computers. I am starting to see that there seems to be some kinda need for tech support to home computer users. I keep getting side jobs for everything from crashed computers to virus problems to programming support for a freelance web designer. And I haven't been looking for the extra work, it just always seems to find me.

My question is, how in the world can I monetize this in such a way that it will be worth the effort? Because as of now it just seems to be a lot of busy work, with no real money.

I've thought of things like,
-web based only tech support via email/live chat
-house call oriented, where I drive to customers locations, I don't like this idea.
-working remotely on customer systems via gotomeeting.com

I'm at a loss, if you can offer any advice I would be grateful.

thank you.

2884, RE: Tech Support Service
Posted by hostingdiva, Sun Aug-17-08 09:49 AM
I think your service is needed. My question to you is why are they getting in touch with you rater than Geek Squad or just taking their computer in to Best Buy? Is it because you're charging them less (or nothing) or because they've heard great things about your work? If you're doing this work for free, this may be why the work is finding you... if you start charging, then it may not find you anymore....

I think you can certainly monitize what you're doing - e.g., $50 per hour for a house call or $25 per hour for remote help. I guess you would need to determine how long it takes you to fix stuff to know how much to charge. You should also probably get a price list of services from Geek Squad - that may give you a better idea of what to charge.
2908, RE: Tech Support Service
Posted by Sologretto, Sun Aug-24-08 08:44 PM
I own Onsite Technical Services in Reno NV.

I have spent 10 years in business and have tried about 7 directions for the company.

Business Partners (Multiple times)
Advertising Company which partners with Techs
Standard Corporate ####
Silly Advertising
Professional Advertising
Contract work
Loose Partnership of Techs
Tight Partnership of Techs

The thing I have learned is that people do business with me because they like me.

If they wanted this other #### they'd go the the competition.

I have spent the last year trying to reposition the company with systems that recognize this and make it possible for anyone I hire to get in the same spot. A place where customers meet and form relaionships with techs they like.

If you want to grow beyond just you providing service good luck... it's VERY difficult to do.

However if you are willing to just do the work yourself and build a loyal clientbase of your own then go out and do it. There's good money in it.