Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: I am new here and looking for opinions on...
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2648&mesg_id=2774
2774, RE: I am new here and looking for opinions on...
Posted by DBeavers, Sun Jul-20-08 10:48 AM
Personally, I shy away from selling onesies and twosies. If you aren't going to be selling things in volume, than selling homes that go for $100K to $1 Million makes a lot of sense. Or at least sell a product or service that has the potential for repeat business.

Downsizing to sell one time purchases that bring you less than $50 profit means you have to go for volume. I hope you can sell the neighbors on either side and across the street from every sign you sell.

The number of homes being sold in your market may be down, but if you have two of those homes under contract that sold each of the last 2 months, your commission would probably be more than you can make in six month of full-time effort selling the lighted address signs.

If you can get quality homes at various price levels and in different A, B, and C neighborhoods (in terms of desirability), you don't have to sell them to earn your commission. Capture enough of the new homes listed in your market in August and you'll likely receive commission checks in September, October, November and December even if they were sold by other agents.

Sell 20 address signs in August and you'll have to do the same every month to have any income each month. And there's no comparing the commissions, even if you only sell one house per month. And you don't even have to sell the properties if you get the listings and others sell them.

Good luck with the address signs if that is what you choose to do, but the more effort you put into that business, the more you take away from your professional career.

Dennis