Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: Scared!!
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2569&mesg_id=2623
2623, RE: Scared!!
Posted by bizdev, Fri Jun-20-08 02:50 AM
I don't have $50,000 for start up costs
>because my store is not going to be a high cost, expensive,
>name brand clothing store..... For
>instance, I saw some skateboarding t-shirts online for $5 each
>but they sale for $24.99 retail. I figure I can show that
>price but post a 20% off sign to attract customers and still
>make a good profit.

Because I have owned a retail shop previously myself, I speak from experience. I don't want to discourage you at all, but I do want to continue the discussion of start up costs.

You say you plan to spend only $10,000, and reluctantly at that. You also said you already completed your business plan. I would be curious to see what you allocated for your start up costs (I'm not asking you to divulge details...just wondering), because the racking, tables, hangers, sizers, etc, alone would run you about $4K for used items for a small shop. New would be nearly double that. A decent POS system would be roughly $2K (with retail software). That's on the low end. Counters...varies depending if they are new or used, where they are gotten from...but at least $500 - $1000 (low end). Rent is always negotiable, but likely you would need first month's rent and security deposit. You will likely need deposits for all utilities. Permits. If you need to remodel that could add quite a bit to your start up costs. You'll need basic office equipment. A fax machine is a must for placing orders for inventory. You'll need signs for both outside and inside. Again, depending on what you go with that can vary greatly. But an electric sign for outside could be upwards of $3K (low end again). That's just what I recall off the top of my head.

And inventory....most vendors will require a minimum quantity. And it takes a surprisingly large amount of inventory to make your shop look full. Even if your plan is to start small and work your way up, if you don't have a decent variety you'll have a difficult time attracting and keeping customers. Relying on your son's friends to keep you afloat doesn't seem realistic.

Again, please don't think I'm trying to discourage you. I know how strong the desire can be when you have an idea and you want to run with it. I tend to encourage folks to look at their plans with eyes wide open and plan on worse case scenarios. The hope of course is that your business will take off and you are profitable from day one. But the reality is that rarely does that happen with a new start up.

If you can find a spot that is fairly small (say no more than 1000 sq ft) it would certainly help keep your costs lower. It would take less merchandise to fill, the rent would be lower and your racking/equipment needs would be less. In my area rents are sky high (avg $20 sq ft). Sounds like your area is much less. That will be helpful.

Please keep us posted and I wish you great success!!