Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectBIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2473
2473, BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by mspreyear, Sun May-11-08 09:02 AM
I live in a very small town and I want to start a business that would be very beneficial to a small town. Any ideas? So far I've done retail, tax preparation, and a couple of more things but I want to really enjoy what I do and make money. Not trying to become rich overnight or anything crazy like that. What does every small town need?
2474, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by achievedisplay, Sun May-11-08 04:37 PM
dependable delicious food. What do you enjoy doing?If you have the option of choosing what you want to do, then why not do something that you enjoy?
2478, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by eshields1014, Mon May-12-08 09:06 AM
Well I would say start with your self, what do you need living in a small town? What do you enjoy doing?? You said you want to do something you enjoy...There are a lot of options out there...

Retail
Seamstress
day care
personal assitant
house cleaner
dog walker
2479, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by tinaraquel, Mon May-12-08 01:03 PM
you should start a little coffee shop! thats what every small town needs they don't have a starbucks and prob will never get one and everybody wants one, have coffee, fraps, smoothies, cookies stuff like that i belive ppl would love it i would ...coming from a small town!
bosslady
2481, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by DBeavers, Tue May-13-08 03:57 AM
Lazymae,

Just how small is small to you? What is the population in the city limits and nearby?

People living in Houston may consider a city of 10,000 to 50,000 a small town, while the government definition is a community of less than 5,000.

If you are hoping to market a business to less than 3,000 adults, I doubt a coffee shop will work as a stand-alone business, unless you have some real cappuccino and espresso fanatics. (Not picking on the coffee idea, just pointing out reality. In addition, adding a cafe in a town that already has a popular one established probably won't work.)

The more info you provide, the better the odds someone will suggest something do-able and profitable for your market.

Dennis Bevers
2490, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by mspreyear, Tue May-13-08 03:16 PM
The population is approximately 6,900. The coffee shop, I don't think so. There are SEVERAL here. We also have a small number of boutiques. I am creative. I want to provide a service that is in demand.
2492, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by Pepperfire, Thu May-15-08 05:15 AM
You might want to contact your local businessperson's association and poll their membership as to what sorts of businesses/products/services they feel are lacking locally.

You may be very surprised at their responses.

The best advice though, you've already been given... Go with something that means something to you... something that you can be good at. Otherwise, it will get tired really quickly.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!
2588, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by mmcjewels, Thu Jun-12-08 02:02 AM
It's great you want to work for yourself. Please visit my site www.myearnpro.com/margaretchisholm and this will help you figure out what you are all about and also to see if I can support you in any way.
2589, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by Palkia, Thu Jun-12-08 03:24 AM
You need to figure out what YOU are passionate about. What do you enjoy doing 24/7 that you would do even if you didn't get paid? Then do the research to develop a niche business around that passion. Brainstorm keyword phrases around that niche and go to http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com to see how many searches people are making for those keywords (will show you demand). This will help you whittle down your business idea. I would also go to www.innoventum.com. They have a free pdf you can download that gives you every detail you need for starting your first business. As a resource, it is indispensable for the new business owner or folks just thinking about starting a biz.
2591, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by bizconsultant, Thu Jun-12-08 04:51 AM
The best thing to do is find out whats needed and provide it. Do some market research,which in a small town shouldnt take much time.

>I live in a very small town and I want to start a business
>that would be very beneficial to a small town. Any ideas? So
>far I've done retail, tax preparation, and a couple of more
>things but I want to really enjoy what I do and make money.
>Not trying to become rich overnight or anything crazy like
>that. What does every small town need?
2592, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by acbrown, Thu Jun-12-08 05:00 AM
My first question to you would be "What do people in your town drive 30 minutes or more to get to?" If their needs for a meat market, dry cleaners, shoe store, etc... are being met in your town, what is something that a nearby bigger town has that yours doesn't?

Something to consider also in this tight economy, is what is something that people NEED to buy rather than what they might WANT to buy but is not much of a necessity right now. It might be really fun to open up a pampered pooch product store, but things like that are the first thing people cut out of their budget when money is tight.

Alyssa
2662, RE: BIZ ADVICE NEEDED
Posted by lucia1popa, Thu Jun-26-08 05:02 AM
It's great you want to work for yourself. Please visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/eugenmarc1/ It's about drinking coffee for your health,family,friends...But ! You can start your busines for all people from US or Canada,workong at home ! Great business and it is good for health ! Increase your health and imunity with Gano Coffee ! Your friend,Victor