Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectA "bright" idea
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=242&mesg_id=242
242, A "bright" idea
Posted by moonwebs, Tue Oct-17-06 03:23 PM
First off, I'm an avid cyclist. I ride my mountain bike about 50 miles a week. I've discovered that my name-brand "Schwinn" halogen headlight is pretty much useless for night riding as it produces very little light. Also, for rough terrain riding, you have to worry about blowing the bulb.

So aside from giving away my trade secret, I've found a way to incorporate high intensity LEDs (light emitting diodes) into a headlight small enough and light enough to pack on a bike. The only major expense is the rechargible Li-ion batteries. So far, the light averages about 30 hours per charge which beats out most major competitors.

Aside from giving away my trade secrets... I think I'm on the cutting edge with this. With a carbon fiber housing.. this thing could sell big time. If the purchaser provided their own batteries, I could produce these for around $5 each. If I had some kind of injection molder or something to do the carbon fiber via some type of automation of vacuum forming, I could produce them for between $1 and $2. Low end headlights sell for $15 each, and high end bike headlights sell for $200 or more.

The key to selling these over my competitors (at any price range) is by demonstration. I could competitively price different "models" to compete with the more well known brands. A simple plug-in display could show the benefits of my light vs. the competition.

Oddly, I came up with the idea comming home from my engineering classes. My lab work isnt finished until around 10PM, and its dark here in Ohio by that time. After a fairly dim ride home, I started applying what I know about electronic engineering to create this. Necessity really is the mother of invention.

Any feedback? Ideas?