Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectjust in the thought phase...
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2412
2412, just in the thought phase...
Posted by LuvNLuck98, Sat Apr-26-08 04:27 AM
I have run a daycare out of my home for several years, and have been considering the notion of opening an actual center in the area in which I live. The area is newly developed with new businesses popping up left and right. I would like the facility to have a sort of "next best thing to home" kind of atmosphere and would also like to have a small focus on special needs children since that is where my experience is in the business worlk and I certainly have a passion for it. I feel that with the contacts I have, I could perhaps even bring in a variety of professionals from the special needs community to offer numerous services to these children in addition to activities that include all of the children at the center. I realized that I would need to start small and build my way up to a larger facility, but am not sure how to do so. With state ratios, it would be difficult to have enough children to pay the bills of a rented space, much less save anything to eventually open a larger facility and begin hiring on staff and such. I don't have a lot of start up cash, like I said, I'm just thinking about this but would like to get moving. I've been doing a lot of research but could use some help. Thank you!
2417, RE: just in the thought phase...
Posted by michael0427, Sun Apr-27-08 02:35 PM
I don't know about the daycare business a lot, but I do know a lot about business in general. I have run my own small business for 22 years now, family business. We have gone through numerous growth stages, larger facilities, more staff, the whole nine yards. Through all of that I learned one BIG lesson, don't try and grow too quickly. It doesn't work out. Take it slow, and in small steps. If you grow too fast, you won't keep up and it will fall apart quicker than it came together. Take it slow and I know you will get what you want. I hope this small bit of advice helps.

Michael

2421, RE: just in the thought phase...
Posted by LuvNLuck98, Mon Apr-28-08 04:46 AM
that does help! thanks for the advice! :-)