Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectGetting started.
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2318&mesg_id=2318
2318, Getting started.
Posted by hightreason, Wed Apr-02-08 06:44 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask this here as it seems like the best one. I have an idea for some language learning software that I think really fills a need in the industry. I know that when I was learning foreign languages I looked for something like it constantly but never found anything. Now, I teach children English, and it just seems like something that is much needed and that a lot of people who want to learn English or other languages would pay for.

The problem is that it's a piece of software that will take some time to develop. It's also rather graphics intensive (something I have no skill for) and will require numerous other things that I just can't do myself, especially while working another job. I have years of software development experience and can prototype various parts of it as a demonstration, but the entire thing is just too big and requires too many skills for me to do myself.

It might be a year or more before the software is in any shape to actually generate income, and I would need to pay competent software developers, graphic designers, and others during that time to get it up in that short of a period. These people's salaries are expensive, not to mention whatever incidental costs arise as well. I have good contacts in the software development industry, as well as a few in the graphic design and animation industries, but I need to have the resources to get it done.

I can coordinate the effort at first such that every one works at home. In fact, this suits software development fairly well as long as I have good people. However, just in salaries alone, I'm probably looking at $200,000 in costs the first year without making a dime.

I obviously don't have this kind of money. Does anyone know where I should look for it or what I should do? Thanks for the help.