Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: My business
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=2149&mesg_id=2161
2161, RE: My business
Posted by BigBrightBulb, Wed Mar-05-08 07:52 AM
No problem at all! Those all sound like healthy concerns of a Business Woman In Action. Probably the first thing to do is prioritize your list and take them one at a time. Here are my suggestions:

1. Register your business
I suggest doing this first (and real soon) because you mentioned more than once that not being registered was holding you back from a critical marketing/promotion task (advertising and give-aways). The business won't move forward if it's kept secret :) I don't know what time it is there, but get this started today if you can, even if just a phone call to see how.

2. Bring your website to a close (for the moment)
It does take a lot to create content for a website, but the nice thing is you don't have to finish every bit before you can launch it. Most importantly, make, weigh, and price treats to sell because they're your main product.

The bandanas, toys, and blankets are a great idea, but put them aside for now. They will be a great extra when you've got everything running well, but you have enough to focus on with registration, the website, and spreading the word. Take them off or put "coming soon" next to those so folks will know they'll be available sometime.

3. Spread the word
You seem hesitant to get out there and distribute your treats, which is understandable. No one wants to be turned down or away! But secret businesses don't succeed, so figure out some ways to spread the word that you are comfortable with.

For example, if you're uncomfortable with introducing yourself, send a postcard** introducing your product and saying you'll be dropping by soon with freebies they can share with their customers. That way they'll already expect you, you'll feel less of a stranger, and 'Free' is always welcome!

Hanging flyers is another good idea, but don't give up on face-to-face contact with those super-valuable folks at the shelters, stores, and shops.

** Don't send a letter, they may not open it, but just about everyone reads the back of postcards!

One thing for certain, I don't think you need more than 4 or 5 kinds, especially if you're already tight on cash. Too many choices can be overwhelming for your customers anyway, so stick to the goodies you have and focus on getting legal, finishing your site, and spreading the word.

You're doing great, keep going!

Crystal
Digital Curator
http://bigbrightbulb.com
Advice, ideas, answers, and inspiration for the smallest businesses with the smallest budgets