Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectHouston area response
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=21&mesg_id=35
35, Houston area response
Posted by MarlinCreek, Thu Aug-10-06 07:56 PM
Sad to say that I live in a major city and can't think of a single dessert only place (other than the ice cream chains like Cold Stone and Marble Slab)... but that's probably a result of having 3 kids.

Would I go to one? I'd like to say yes... but I guess it was dependent upon the type of place... was it meant to be a "romantic" place for couples with great desserts or was it meant to be a family place with great desserts? I'd probably go to either, but the romantic place would be limited to select adult birthdays and anniversaries. We would probably find more interest in a family style (or at least tolerant) place.

Now, what would I want? It's gotta be the best tasting dessert out there. There's an Italian food place locally that has the best choc cake I've ever tasted... enough to tell my wife to get it for my b-day. That type of food at a dessert place... might get me out on a saturday evening.

In this age of "healthy eating" desserts are turning more into a limited indulgence and not an every night type affair. However, if you can position the place near a grouping of restuarants (that typically have limited dessert options) you might be able to lure people as they left dinner to come into your place.

Some thoughts I had about food places...

1. Location is important but not everything - meaning, you want it easy to get to... or in a visible place so that people driving by go "hey, what's that, let's check it out"

2. You want to set yourself apart from the others in some way... better food, wider selection, specialty selection that they can't get someplace else (locally), atmosphere, etc...

3. You want to provide value based upon the perceived quality. If you are going to have ice cream for $4 / scoop, it had better be the best... or make it cheaper than the others. I believe that the general trend is to compete on quality (better) and not price (cheaper)

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Graydon
Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com