Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectA Lay-Away-Store-Great Idea?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1569&mesg_id=1569
1569, A Lay-Away-Store-Great Idea?
Posted by driven2bwealthy, Tue Aug-21-07 08:21 AM
Since Target shut down it's Lay-a-way program several years ago, and Wal-Mart just recently followed, the only retail store giant (or semi-giant) that offers lay-away now is K-mart. The idea that I've cultivated is to build a business based around lay away items.

I would contract with Wal-mart/Target Stores...My company would receive the lay away orders (via scanning system like the baby/bridal shower scanning), store them in a storage/warehouse type facility, maintain customer records/payments and distribute the lay away items when customers came to pick them up locally. The stores would profit from being able to sell their products by other means, customers would benefit from being able to put items they wouldn't necessarily be able to purchase right away, on layaway, and my company would profit from the lay away fees,(non refundable)and the contract with each store. If lay away items are not purchased, customers debit/credit cards would be automatically charged a restocking fee that would go to the retailer (Walmart/Target). My company would be the sole contact regarding the merchandise. Retailer would not be involved other than providing merchandise.

Eventually this business would grow to offer the same services nationwide via online/catalog ordering.

I've just started my research on other companies that might already provide this service however I've not come across one as of yet.

I would like to find out how this idea fares and if it's even worth dilligently pursuing. I've done a great deal of research. Business owners, Venture Capitalist's and others welcome to post your suggestions/opionions. Thank you.