Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectRE: What do you think
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1316&mesg_id=1329
1329, RE: What do you think
Posted by equiprep, Wed Jun-20-07 04:54 PM
If you live in a small town where everyone knows everybody and you know the local restaurant owners or better yet have access to a kitchen in your local church you will beat a major obstacle in starting your business. It is rare that you find you can start the business out of your house because of health code regulations but go ahead and check with your health department they may say it is ok. At 16 years old I would not get to wrapped up in a business plan it will burn you out at your age because there often many complex concepts that go into a business plan you are not familiar with but I would say if you know somebody that owns a business set down and talk to them on the costs. I work in the commercial side of the foodservice industry and am quite familiar with what you want to do. Keep it simple at this stage. Realize you tecnically need a business license to start which is usually a couple hundred dollars, you have quarterly taxes to consider, basic small wares equipment (pans, spatulas, bowls,etc.), ingredients, your time and effort, and your rent, electric, and gas. Cut a deal with your local church to use there kitchen that is the best most cost effective thing to do. Don't forget you will need marketing pieces and advertising. Many of which you can create on your computer. People may ask for samples. You can start buying your ingredients at the store but down the road as you become successful you can buy from commercial distributors which will cut your product costs. I see many foodservice operations in the first 12 months fail but you are going after a very simple model. The most important thing of all is to concentrate on your school work when in school and work your business around your schedule. Always remember you have your entire life to work and once you are out of high school or college those days are gone. Enjoy your younger years now. It is nice to chase money but when all is said in done it is more important the people you shared your life with and have helped be successful. Give the business a shot just don't get over whelmed in the idea of a business plan. Have a measurable plan but focus yourself on being with your friends, enjoying your free time, and getting into college if that is what you want to do after high school.