Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectInput on start up ideas
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1230
1230, Input on start up ideas
Posted by findingdetails, Wed Aug-26-09 01:07 AM
I think I may have nailed two very possible start up ideas, looking for some additional feedback. I am considering an Organizing Business (Home or Office) I am very detail oriented and very organized (more so at work). I was wondering if this type of business would work in a smaller community area. I do not know of anyone that provides this service at this time.

Another thought for a business to start would be an errand service, (excluding transportation of individuals due to liability costs) Again I live in a smaller community and I do not know of anyone that does this service in our area at this time. Again I would probably focus on running errand and sitting waiting for repairman or service people to come while people are at work and unable to do this stuff during their work hours.

I would appreciate any additional input on these ideas and whether or not these are feasible businesses to start in a smaller community. Let me know.

Thank you,
Tam:-)
1236, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by Pepperfire, Fri Jun-01-07 07:18 AM
Great idea... I live in a small town. Our local chamber of commerce counts possibly 50 companies on a good day.

Our biggest complaint is lack of staff. If we had someone we could tap for such things, we'd be laughing. Not just organizing, but I'd love to have someone come in just once a week, do my filing. Help me with my scheduling.

So, yes, I think it's a great idea: ESPECIALLY for a small community.

You don't by chance live in my town??? I know... wishful thinking.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!
1244, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by findingdetails, Mon Jun-04-07 09:07 AM
Tina,

Thank you so much for your positive feed back! :7

It is nice to finally hear some positive feed back on your ideas, although my family will support my decisions I always seem to get the negative feedback about what "won't" work, and it is nice to finally get some positive feed back. If I lived in your town I would be looking you up to share my skills with you.

;)

Thank you,
Tami W.
Future Entrepreneur
1256, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by ZeroGCreative, Tue Jun-05-07 01:01 PM
My motto is never take advice from anyone who hasn't done it them selves!! If you famly and friend shave ever owned or started a business them selves, then how do they know if it can work or not!! Ask them for their support, but take advice from people who have the same interest (owning businesses) and goals as you do.

I think your business is a great idea!! Time is getting very important to people so they are willing to pay someone else to run their errands, do their grocery shopping, pick up prescriptions, etc just so they have some down time! I know what my time is worth and if I can find someone to run errands for me I would be willing to pay them just so I have extra time with my kids!!

Where are you based??

Good Luck, you can really go far with this business idea!!
1264, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by findingdetails, Wed Jun-06-07 02:46 AM
Thanks for the positive input and I guess I never thought if it that way, thanks for pointing that out. The positive feedback that I am getting is really give me the support and the nudge that I need to get out there and get started.

I am based in michigan, in a small rural community. I intend on focusing on the town with the highest concentration of people and businesses in our county, it has approx. 3,400 people in it.

Thanks again :-)

Tam
Future Business owner
1240, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by hostingdiva, Sun Jun-03-07 07:57 AM
Why couldn't you combine both of these ideas into one business?

I think the errand stuff is great - there are a couple of those types of businesses in this area and seem to do pretty well. I know that attourney offices tend to use these types of services to deliver documents to courts and stuff.

The organizing stuff - I don't really know about which is why I would suggest that you combine both of them.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1245, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by findingdetails, Mon Jun-04-07 09:09 AM
Great idea, I will definately consider merging the two to create a larger market to draw from.

Thank you for your input!

Tami
1310, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by luneib, Mon Jun-18-07 05:54 AM
I love that idea, I always hated taking off work for service or a repairman and companies would rather have you there at work, not sure how much you could charge an hour for that service, but it's a great idea!
1424, RE: Input on start up ideas
Posted by corrieann67, Sat Jul-14-07 05:36 PM
I like the idea of combining the two ideas (and possibly expanding with others as you see what your clients need. Here's what I would do. Offer to speak at a chamber of commerce meeting. Don't do this to solicit business, but offer advice on how to get organized (for tax season, or some other focus, etc.) Also offer advice on how entrepreneurs can save time and energy by outsourcing things like errands, etc. Again, don't outright solicit for business. At the end of your presentation tell the audience that you will have a raffle for a free book (make it on a topic that you are presenting about and one your audience will resonate with). They fill out a simple entry form to enter (collect name, name of business, telephone and email at a minimum....address is bonus). On the bottom of the entry form write something like. "Thank you for entering the raffle. You will receive a complimentary issue of the 'name of your e-newsletter.' You may unsubscribe at any time." Put this in a smaller type on the form, but you are still advising them that you will follow-up with an email (your ezine). Also, you now have their contact information, with a contact person's name for business follow-up.

Oh, just got another thought. I'd suggest that you offer an enewsletter (ezine) to everyone. Offer organizing tips, etc. In each newsletter make it clear what your organization offers and include all the info on how to get started using your services.

You could become known as the "go to" person in your town for small businesses. I'd also suggest to you that you investigate on how to be a virtual assistant (there are online schools that have great curriculum to teach you the ropes if you don't have administrative/secretarial skills). This is a huge market right now. Small business owners need help and there is nothing better than having a virtual assistant available to them on an hourly basis (VAs charge anywhere from $30-75 an hour, depending on the services they offer.

Good luck!
Corrie
1510, Deleted message
Posted by jinxmd, Sun Aug-05-07 11:51 AM
No message
3888, Price?
Posted by BoyceBiz, Sun Aug-23-09 11:03 PM
hey,
well done for making the first step.
would you charge by the hour and if so how much?