Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectI am taking a poll -Please help
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1105
1105, I am taking a poll -Please help
Posted by Lanell01, Mon Apr-30-07 01:22 PM
I am thing about opening a gift shop and I will have some of the Soy
vegetable clean burning candles, and some of the designer jewelry-the affordable kind of jewelry. I would like to know from the public when you go into a shop what kind of things would you like to see in the shops ? Are there certain things you would like to see in a gift shop?
I need all the ideas I can get. Please Help ! Any and all suggestions
will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks so much

Tammy Lanell
bullo6@aol.com
1109, RE: I am taking a poll -Please help
Posted by imageworkbook, Tue May-01-07 03:45 AM
I think the thing I like the best about gift shops is the atmosphere. Each one is different, and the best ones tell fantastic stories throughout. I will even stay and browse in shops that carry items I'm not particularly interested in if the merchandise mix is interesting and the displays are creative. Often the way items are merchandised gives me the push to buy! People love to wander through a gift shop and soak it all in.

So, my advice to you is to think about your overall theme and use that to select your merchandise and displays. Having a clear picture of your shop in your mind makes buying so much easier! You'll be able to sift through the myriad choices to find perfect pieces to help tell the "story" of your unique shop. GOOD LUCK!
1110, RE: I am taking a poll -Please help
Posted by Pepperfire, Tue May-01-07 04:45 AM
I have to agree, unique... tell a story.

One of the best gift shops I've seen was actually an old farm house and each room was gift laden with items perfect for that room. It was fun to browse and I actually bought several items.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!
1113, RE: I am taking a poll -Please help
Posted by ElleBlue, Tue May-01-07 06:09 AM
Yes, a theme is very important. Merchandise the different items in groups, so they make sense to the shoppers. Basic ideas like putting candles and other household items together are often overlooked by a lot of shop owners, particularly those lacking in space. I've been in several shops and was turned off, because everything seemed so cluttered and confusing.