Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameBiz Ideas
Topic subjectSelling functional furniture I have designed
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=1009&mesg_id=1009
1009, Selling functional furniture I have designed
Posted by Marion, Fri Apr-06-07 12:21 PM
I have designed 2 very unique pieces of furniture that are not available in this form. They are both functional and space saving.

I assume the first thing I must do is to get a patent for each one. After that, though, what is the best way to proceed? Should I try to do it myself and find manufacturers for them? A friend who is a top-notch carpenter told me that one of these pieces would be too expensive to produce in the States and to consider having it made overseas, perhaps in China.

I don't have much money to put into this but in my heart I know these will sell. One piece would retail at around $150.00 and the other would probably be under $1000.00. Both would be available in different sizes. Also, each design has nothing to do with the other piece of furniture and they would be in different rooms in the house.

Would it make more sense to patent them and then license them out? I don't know if I'll ever see that much money back from these ideas if I do it that way. I read in another post that I could expect only 5% for each sale. And if I do license them, could I license them to different companies or only one?

What are your thoughts? My daughter is very ill and I need to be working from home to be here for her so it's time I put this into action.