Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameWorking at Home
Topic subjectHOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=75
75, HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by sugarlady, Thu May-07-09 05:11 AM
I am hoping to start a home based business as my husband is in the military and this will not be a permenant residence for us. I want to start a home based bakery with delivery service. I am hoping someone can tell me if it is a MUST to have some kind of degree or certificate or if I can just start kinda freelance. My mom used to be in the biz and I leared alot of technique from her. I am also under the impression you have to have the name of your business registered before yuo can get licenses, bank account, etc., is this true? If anyone can answere my questions, my ears are wide open. Thanks and God bless.:D
77, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by bizdev, Wed Dec-20-06 03:16 AM
You don't need a degree, but you should get a DBA (doing business as) certificate (also known as an assumed name certificate). You can get that from the county offices. And you will need the DBA certificate to open a business bank account. You will also need the business bank acct to set yourself up to accept credit cards (should you opt for that).

What you should look into is whether or not you can legally carry out your bakery/delivery business out of your home. Some cities don't allow it. Some may require a license or may need to pay a visit to see if your space is compliant with regulations that govern the making and selling of food items from a private residence.

Again, your county and city offices should be able to guide you.
208, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by InspSG, Sat Sep-15-07 12:50 PM
As a food inspector for a local health department I can tell
you that you are required by law to use a commercial kitchen.
Some health departments will allow you to use a church kitchen
if you also license it, but be aware that operating a bakery
or any other food establishment is hard work. I have regulated
food establishments in my local town for 37 yrs and everyone
thinks because they can cook they can operate a food est. Be
aware that you should contact your local health department
first, fire department, building inspection department to make
sure what exactly the rules are. These inspections are usually
of no cost and if you can get the information first then it
will save you a lot of time and energy. There are other tips
which I could give you if you want, just e-mail me as they are
many.  InspSG@aol.com
Sandy
79, RE: thanks
Posted by sugarlady, Wed Dec-20-06 08:44 AM
Thankyou for all the suggestions. I am going to get ahold of my city and county offices and see if they can answere some questions for me. I appretiate all the help. Thankyou so much.
86, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by Lanell01, Fri Dec-29-06 07:03 PM
Hello Sugar Lady- Love the name by the way.

Check out some of these websites! You can do any of these business'
from your home no matter where you live.

http://lanell007freestoreclub.com
www.juicyonesite.com
www.ambiencescents.com

Good luck in all that you do !

God Bless
Tammy Lanell
90, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by NacySBRN, Tue Jan-09-07 02:31 PM
I will tell you this the food industry is one of the highest regulated industries there are due to communicable diseases, and allergies ect.
You will also need to contact the USDA and see what they require.

In Oregon most people cannot even dream of doing any type of food business from a home setting without a sperarate building and commercial kitchen set up.

And if you have any pets not at all.

I knew a lady with a commerical candy business and she has six licenses. And had to redo her lable like very other month.

Good luck
Nanc Johnson

http://smallbusinessreferralnetwork.com
96, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by iws, Tue Jan-23-07 03:42 PM
I would suggest you check the requirements with your local county and city for their regulations and requirements. In the beginning, you may not need everything you inquire about but in the long run, it may be better. Just check it out and get cookin'.
110, Deleted message
Posted by threeesixteen, Sun Feb-25-07 06:06 PM
No message
171, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by rog37, Tue Jul-03-07 10:04 PM
If you want to start a business which you could operate from anywhere you happen to live in the world, you might want to take a look at a very low cost slimming (Plus other products) business I am involved in.

The slimming product contains 'Hoodia' as being raved about on CNN, CBS and Oprah Winfrey show. Do a search on Google for 'Hoodia' to see it's incredible properties.

I believe that I should be earning about $5k per month in 6 months, from an almost zero cost start up.

I have previously built teams of thousands on a number of occaisions, simply by offering all the help I could.

If you join me, you will get all the help you will ever need to succeed.

Just visit my 'HomePage' link: http://www.thehbsgroup.com/lc/N1.mv
179, Deleted message
Posted by ibomom, Wed Jul-18-07 03:10 PM
No message
187, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by jinxmd, Sun Aug-05-07 12:36 PM

Check this out.
http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=jinxmd
Here's the world's quickest way to test your IQ. In fact, there's only one question!

Let's say you knew of a FREE website that gives you cash back at popular retailers like eBay, Target, Old Navy and Gap, just for clicking a link.

Now, let's say that same website also pays you when people you refer shop at those same popular retailers--FOREVER.

Finally, let's say there was no catch, no spam, no credit card information required, no cost. You just click and earn.

Now, the question:

Would you join?

If your answer is yes, congratulations! You are among those with the highest IQs online! Just click below to join them in earning cash now!

If your answer is no...well, let's just say that it may not be safe for you to go outside without a helmet!

http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=jinxmd
196, Deleted message
Posted by sjd314, Wed Aug-29-07 01:50 PM
No message
202, Deleted message
Posted by felise32, Fri Sep-07-07 07:54 PM
No message
237, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by gloratore, Wed Dec-26-07 03:25 PM
Hello Sugarlady,

I am an ex-military wife and can fully identify with not having a permanent residence, I have lived in base housing and while moving from base to base in the TLQ. I always wanted to have my own business but could never find anything that fit my moving around so much. Well I have finally found something that:

Is ABSOLUTELY FREE - you're never asked for money.
There's NOTHING TO SELL - all you do is shop in any one of
1,000 stores on your own Mall.
There are NO CRAZY QUALIFYING GAMES. Just one purchase a
month - any amount - qualifies you for all pay!
There are NO MEETINGS OR TRAINING. Everybody already knows how
to shop!
ALL TOOLS ARE FREE. We give you everything you need.

Check out this link below I know you will discover what I did this is something who's time has come.

http://www.mypowermall.com/Biz/Home/92635

Oh by the way this will not interfer with anything you are currently doing or plan to do

The Best of Everything
pianolady
:7
245, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by vwd, Thu Jan-03-08 08:51 PM
Hello,

You have a great business idea. Definately get with your local county clerk about running the bakery from your home, I'm sure those experienced in this market that posted reference the commercial kitchen are correct, of course a basement with an installed kitchen for the sole purpose of baking for your business is commercial to me :-)

Anyway, as far as the business aspect is concerned:

1. Register your business with your county clerk, ask them about the business license and anything else needed. I know where I'm at you have to register with the county clerk and also go to a bank and register there for the city portion.

2. You don't have to get a business bank account right away especially starting out, just have a good accounting program to keep up with the profits and business expenses because you will now be filing takes at city, state, and federal most likely using your SSN as the tax ID.

3. Sounds like you are doing local deliveries but a website is a must, you can even accept payment via PayPal. You definately need a quote form for your website. There are many opensource (free) solutions out there for your website. Look in to Joomla and osCommerce for your website software.

4. I'm military myself, actually active duty and run two successful businesses on the side, at least in my mind they are successful.

268, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by BOXCART, Wed Mar-05-08 05:38 AM
HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT EBAY
http://ebaymillionsnow.blogspot.com/
269, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by eshields1014, Thu Mar-06-08 07:04 AM
Hi, wow that business idea sounds like alot of fun. I don't know much but here is what I do know

I went in to my bank and asked about an accout, I do not have to have a liecense for the county that I am in in my state but I do have to reg my business name and the bank does need that information in order to open an acount for the business. Hope that helps!!
290, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by sjd314, Tue Mar-25-08 04:31 PM
I live in Ohio and have a friend who makes cakes and cookies from her home. Her kitchen is licensed but she had to make a couple of modifications (oven and sink and separate frig).

She does quite well making close to $20,000 a year.

She sponsered a bitty league baseball league. She also markets her cookies to local convenience stores.

Sara
311, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by AWellEarth, Wed Apr-09-08 04:13 AM
You don't need your business registration to get a Credit Union Account.

Credit Unions offer better rates for loans & savings than Banks.

Please take a look at the Zero Exploitation Zone FITN Business Program of A Well Earth Organization.

http://gknot.net/unmdg/files/FITN/AWE_FITNBusinesses.pdf

Please let me know how I can assist you. Watching the infomational presentation at EconomicPower.com really helps.

There are many businesses out there, A Well Earth is looking for businesses that provide a Good Quality of Life for Zero to Low Barrier to Entry.

Everyone can ideally receive what they need for a Good Quality of Life FREE

There is provably No Legal or Economic Justification for Disease, Poverty, Homelessness & Joblessness.

A Well Earth
"Common Issues Uncommon People"
http://awellearth.net

"Common Issues Uncommon People"
535, Deleted message
Posted by christ1dan2, Thu Mar-05-09 01:23 AM
No message
536, Deleted message
Posted by christ1dan2, Thu Mar-05-09 01:34 AM
No message
565, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by tysmith22, Mon Mar-23-09 01:21 PM
Hi

I have recently become a part-time e-commerce broker with a fast-
growing eco-friendly internet company. While most companies are
laying people off, we are growing by 10,000 brokers a month. My friend Joe Occhiogrosso, who owns one of the largest title agencies in NJ located in in Morristown, has made ?over $150,000″ or ?more than $30,000 in February, and over $20,000 in January and December? and he just got involved in June. He makes money 24/7 as people shop for the things they need. Joe has introduced this to many attorneys and business owners as well as down-sized exceutives and ?stay-at-home? parents. Again its only a part-time effort.

for more info see: www.24hourtour.net/summitsmiths
586, Deleted message
Posted by ZenStarOne, Thu Apr-23-09 05:38 PM
No message
730, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by HomeBaking2010, Tue Sep-21-10 02:59 PM
There are a number of states that allow home-based baking. Please visit http://homebasedbaking.com and speak with one of the staff or email there, the information is most valuable. Good Luck!!!
740, Freelance anything to earn money at Gighour(dot)com
Posted by thomascross, Sun Dec-05-10 09:12 PM
Last month when I showed a close buddy of mine how to make money from blogs he was pretty impressed and said that he owed me about $10. Finding me clueless he told me about Gighour.com. This is a freelancing site where you can do anything you are good at to earn money as a freelancer. On my friend?s advice I logged in to the site and posted as a gig that I can give about 100 tips of making money from blogs. And trust me, it worked. I have found buyers consistently. Eventually I have found out that many friends of mine freelance in Gighour.com and earn fast bucks regularly. And as I said it?s not only about serious stuffs like writing SEO articles for someone and the like. You can even increase traffic to someone?s youtube video to earn money.
742, RE: HOME BASED BIZ ?'S
Posted by NaimaLynah, Wed Dec-15-10 05:07 PM
I had a good friend that started a business like this from home in NC. She was baking cookies, and making designer dipped apples. She made the mistake of not getting her license ahead of time and finding out the laws regarding a cooking business from home and was almost closed down. It's not as easy as Paula Deen shares of how she started. Check with your towns licensing board. Have a business plan prepared ahead of time. Your City's licensing and Chamber of Commerce will have tons of information for you to get started on the right track. God Bless and may you richly prosper in your endeavor.

Naima Lynah
East Coast Green Energy:-)